AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Jeep Chat (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Stalling out, fuel pump? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159999)

nicholasnicholas 26-11-2021 04:30 PM

Stalling out, fuel pump?

Afternoon all,

Was driving the XJ, she ran out of fuel.
I filled it back up after some jerry can missions. Drove to the servo and fully filled it.
Was okay for a day, now it'll only drive for a couple of minutes before stalling out, basically a feint shudder, then loss of acceleration, steering, breaks... wrestling it to the side of the road.
Not ideal!

Details on the rig, 1998 XJ 4.0 Auto

Any ideas on this one?

I'm feeling from reading around it might need a new fuel pump / filter... a tricky job to do for someone that tinkers but isn't really equiped!
Any tips or insight would be amazing!

:)

nicholasnicholas 26-11-2021 04:42 PM

Yes, my thoughts also.
The tricky part from what I can gather, is with the '98+ the filter is in together with the pump assembly... so it would be dropping the tank and all that involves [emoji50]

Would an additive in the fuel help to clean it up?
Or is that sort of stuff snake oil...

Classic Boy 26-11-2021 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicholasnicholas (Post 1678348)
Yes, my thoughts also.
The tricky part from what I can gather, is with the '98+ the filter is in together with the pump assembly... so it would be dropping the tank and all that involves [emoji50]

Would an additive in the fuel help to clean it up?
Or is that sort of stuff snake oil...

Snake oil, Yes

nicholasnicholas 26-11-2021 05:18 PM

Stalling out, fuel pump?

Thought that might be the case.
A magic potion to dissolve the gunk, to good to be true!

Well... has anyone here replaced the fuel filter / pump on a 98 Cherokee?
Any tips on the DIY front would be great!

Also open to recommendations on some good, Jeep familiar mechanics out Brisbane way, that'd be welcome

Fishframe 26-11-2021 06:15 PM

When my fuel pump went there was no warning, just stopped dead in the street.

nicholasnicholas 22-12-2021 07:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback!
Im going to pick up a fuel pressure testing guage and diagnose that way, get some direction and see if it is indeed pump. Would this be a logical step or is it fairly obvious the filter / pump is on its way out?
If so would a regular low cost fuel pressure guage from "repco" work?

Again forgive the newbie questions... gotta ask to learn!