AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Stalling on start up (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154470)

kimbo 06-12-2018 10:40 AM

Stalling on start up

I've posted a reply in the "expert advice" area, but not got any joy, so thought I'd try here.

I've got a 2012 WK, which appears to have had the fuel pump relay recall addressed back in 2016 - I say "appears" because I don't remember Jeep saying anything when they did it, but I do have an external relay attached just behind the radiator, which is where I'm led to believe it should be (if the recall was done).

However, the symptoms of the problem that the recall, I believe, was supposed to have fixed (stalling on start up, then refusal to re-start for several subsequent attempts), has occurred twice in the past year - last weekend and about 8 months prior to that, and one other time maybe 4-ish years back - I didn't pay a great deal of attention to it the first time, because it started eventually, and just put it down to a glitch/dirt.

So, the question is, has anyone had the same issue, i.e. the problem reappearing after the recall has been done, and if so, any ideas how to fix it - I know I can run in into Jeep, but I'd be interested if there's a simple fix that I can do myself, without being charged "an arm and a leg" for the privilege.

Is it simply a question of replacing the relay, and if so are they readily available anywhere?

Cheers ... Kimbo

croweater 06-12-2018 11:09 AM

I don't know much about the recall but I can recommend an auto electrician in Adelaide to look at your relay. They are called Electroserve at 376 Magill Rd, Kensington Park. I've got a 1978 Datsun 260Z that they fitted multiple relays to it and fixed a faulty earth problem that had been annoying me for ages.

imaz 06-12-2018 12:09 PM

Replace the relay, The omrons fail will show signs of failure after about a year. Cheap and easy fix, and the symptoms are much as you have described it.

I keep 3 spares in my glovebox.

You can test by(at the time it happens)
1) tap on the relay, and start again
2) Jumper the relay(cant remember which terminals), to keep the fuel pump constantly active. Remember to disconnect, only temporary measure.
3) Jaycar has some cheap $8 relays, give it a go. I did, while I waited for my Omron ebays to arrive. Difference is, the Omrons are water resist, better sealed.

Other than that, Omron are shit in general.

kimbo 10-12-2018 07:34 AM

Thanks gents.

Croweater: my auto sparky's just started a FIFO job with some mining company over in WA, so good to know another reliable guy for that kind of thing.

imaz: thanks - "tapping on the relay" as a fix, I've seen mentioned a couple of times, so suspected it might be something as simple as it sticking every now and then. I'll order up a couple of Omron replacements, and keep them on hand.

Cheers guys ... Kimbo

Ktford 30-12-2018 11:45 AM

Mine did that when my fuel filters were not screwed in sufficiently