AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Modifying Diesel Battery Tray (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140113)

kx steve 12-07-2015 07:15 PM

Modifying Diesel Battery Tray

Has anyone with a diesel modified the battery tray to take a different battery?
My Optima yellow top is on its way out again, this will be my second one.
Don't really want to buy another if I can help it.

warnabrother 12-07-2015 07:37 PM

Take the battery back if it's less than 3 years old..

kx steve 12-07-2015 07:44 PM

Its just over 3 years old, I will take it back and see if they replace it first. The warranty just ran out this month, see how I go
Just wanting to know if anyone has Modified one.

kx steve 12-07-2015 08:38 PM

Just pulled the battery out written on the top it say only 2 year warranty
So it looks I will have to buy another battery.

Macca2801 13-07-2015 09:36 AM

My optima is the factory one I got with the vehicle in late 2009, but I do look after my batteries. Make sure your charge voltage is only 13.5-14.2V as anything higher will cook the battery and lower will undercharge the battery and lead to sulphation.
Some early JKs had incorrect charge voltages and they went through heaps of batteries until they mentioned it to the dealer and they re flashed the ECM to solve it.
Additionally, no alternator in modern vehicles are good at charging batteries. Typically the charge voltage drops off too early causing batteries to be constantly undercharged and again, causes sulphation. Once a month or so I throw a ctek charger on my battery to give it a full charge and hence nearly 6 years out of my battery.
Matt

Yom 13-07-2015 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macca2801 (Post 1539725)
My optima is the factory one I got with the vehicle in late 99, but I do look after my batteries. Make sure your charge voltage is only 13.5-14.2V as anything higher will cook the battery and lower will undercharge the battery and lead to sulphation.
Some early JKs had incorrect charge voltages and they went through heaps of batteries until they mentioned it to the dealer and they re flashed the ECM to solve it.
Additionally, no alternator in modern vehicles are good at charging batteries. Typically the charge voltage drops off too early causing batteries to be constantly undercharged and again, causes sulphation. Once a month or so I throw a ctek charger on my battery to give it a full charge and hence nearly 6 years out of my battery.
Matt

There's some pretty clever get out clauses in battery warranty these days relating to battery maintenance and specifically having the battery charged by a proper battery charger rather than relying on the vehicle's alternator.

I believe the 42 month warranty on Exide extreme batteries in australia is only valid if the battery has been cared for properly. No idea how they prove this though apart from request a copy of your service records. :confused:

kx steve 13-07-2015 06:46 PM

The problem with my battery dilemmas is, I don't use the jeep every day and when I do use it mostly its short trips.
The only time it does a long trip is when we go away.
My alternator puts out a 13.5 to a max of14.2 volts never seen it any higher.
I do charge it with a c-tek charger but not every month.

I bought a new D31a for $331.00

(Matt what C-tek do you have)