AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   MY2014 Whining/Whistling noise when coasting (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137036)

Taprod 23-12-2014 07:58 AM

MY2014 Whining/Whistling noise when coasting

Hi All,

So I think I have my first Jeep problem. I've done a bit of research including in the archives here and haven't found anything specific to the WK2. I have the V6 and the base model suspension pack.

Often when it's hot and I'm costing, the Jeep will make a faint whistling or whining noise while coasting. If I tap the accelerator, it stops for a second and then when I let off and coast again, the noise returns. The noise isn't present under acceleration at all. I've also noticed some belt noise when at idle. Not sure if this is related or not.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

yoda42 23-12-2014 08:14 AM

Does it do it with the A/C fan off, if not it could be the TX valve in your A/C

Taprod 23-12-2014 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoda42 (Post 1509062)
Does it do it with the A/C fan off, if not it could be the TX valve in your A/C

Hmm, haven't tried fiddling with the AC. Will try that this weekend! There doesn't appear to be any affect on performance.

hillsjeep 25-12-2014 10:29 AM

Yep! just kick the wife out of the passenger's seat and all whining noises go away! ;)

bleetnblurt 25-12-2014 11:00 AM

take it to the dirt , set in 4wd , and give it a hour or so , then try coasting , possible noise is either crown wheel in the diffs , or a possible uni . if it really bothers you pay heaps of dosh to look over , or turn the radio up .

fester 25-12-2014 06:38 PM

Or take it back to the dealer and get it looked at given that it is a 2014 model and therefore the diffs, if an issue, would be covered under warranty.

Taprod 03-01-2015 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fester (Post 1509414)
Or take it back to the dealer and get it looked at given that it is a 2014 model and therefore the diffs, if an issue, would be covered under warranty.

Fiddling with the AC didn't help, but I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in. It was difficult for them to understand the noises as I was explaining them, even after I got an actual mechanic on the phone. It is due for its 24k service anyway so will be going in towards the end of January.

It's been perfect otherwise though. Had the car for a year now and still loving it every time I get behind the wheel. My wife and I were saying how it is strange (and awesome) that no squeaks or rattles have appeared in the dash or anywhere else (Apart from the aforementioned in the engine bay!) I've owned a few new cars and they normally develop these sort of noises in the first month!