AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Now you see them, now you don't - another headlight issue (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147163)

tazwegion 11-01-2017 11:47 PM

Now you see them, now you don't - another headlight issue

1 Attachment(s)
Last month the headlights seemed reluctant to turn on (but did within a few seconds), the vehicle gets mostly driven during the day and often by my partner who will sometimes provide feedback of any issues noted (getting better), she also reported unusual activity from the indicators and a tail light appeared to be blown... easy fix right?

On inspection today, all bulbs were active and operational albeit a little dusty as they have not required replacement for quite some time, during the test process the headlights suddenly failed to engage, a fuse right? wrong...

Fuses were check and the only one which was damaged was #18 which restored the rear cargo interior light, not all areas of the fuse panel had power when ignition was switched to the "Aux" position but all fuses tested AOK for continuity (with a circuit tester)

I understand that the switches can be a problem in many cases but the loading has been removed from this switch by a lighting relay modification including the use of circuit breakers.

There are no park lights, no low beam nor activity from engaging the indicator stalk (for momentary passing high beam), the switch happily operate the interior light override, no buzzer or delay action has ever been noted on this vehicle in relation to the headlamps being left on.

Will have more time tomorrow and intend to remove the switch and check what power is going in and going out, it was probably due to be replaced anyway, lucky for me I am on holidays still :cool:

FWIW I did cruise the related threads in search but there appears to be quite a spectrum of symptoms

Gildo 12-01-2017 12:05 AM

My guess would be the switch, this is a known problem in older XJs.

tazwegion 12-01-2017 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your response Gildo however unfortunately the plot thickens... the switch checked AOK on the work bench with the following observations

* continuity between the 12v input and headlight output (switch fully extended)

* the parking light fused input (all switch positions) & output

* interior lights to (switch) chassis ground.

* the fused parking light input and dash light output (including rheostat)

My next test will be to determine if power is arriving at the connector :0=

EDIT: Well apparently after disassembling the lower dash for better access (highly recommended) there appears to be power to the switch, which leaves a minor/intermittent short or dead relays :confused:

layback40 12-01-2017 08:14 PM

Dont give up on the switch just yet. Your test is under a no load situation. When yo put plenty of amps through it, expect to see a breakdown.

Gildo 13-01-2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by layback40 (Post 1601011)
Dont give up on the switch just yet. Your test is under a no load situation. When yo put plenty of amps through it, expect to see a breakdown.

Also check the condition of the connector on the switch loose/arced connectors on the plug can do this too, it usually heats up and melts parts of the plug or switch.
There's also plenty of other connections between the plug and the relays and lamps.

junglejuice 13-01-2017 05:28 PM

Sounds like a good time to do an upgrade.....

tazwegion 14-01-2017 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gildo (Post 1601079)
Also check the condition of the connector on the switch loose/arced connectors on the plug can do this too, it usually heats up and melts parts of the plug or switch.
There's also plenty of other connections between the plug and the relays and lamps.

Indeed that is what I thought also, I suspect a relay however after rechecking the tail lamps, wiring harness and connector for a short/wire fracture everything is now operating as it should, intermittent faults are the worst :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by junglejuice (Post 1601097)
Sounds like a good time to do an upgrade.....

Exactly however...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazwegion (Post 1600945)
the loading has been removed from this switch by a lighting relay modification including the use of circuit breakers.