AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Jeep build up (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   XJ: Lexus Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103964)

kingyxj 01-03-2011 10:26 PM

XJ: Lexus Cherokee

5 Attachment(s)
I have a 2001 xj diesel, i decided to ditch the diesel when the turbo blew and had a brainwave to put a 1uzfe v8 into it, which i have since regretted lol. this is how its going so far.... Turns out its a silly idea but the end result is what is keeping me motivated.
I bought the motor with a r151 gearbox from a hilux four runner then got the bellhousing clutch kit from qld with the intention of mating that gearbox to the standard transfer case with adaptor plates,two piece shafts etc but after talking to a few engineers i found out this was also a silly idea. I now have a tj wrangler 5 spd gearbox and swapped the input shaft from the four runner box over and now its all bolted up after drilling a few holes to offset the transfer case. Now its up to mounting it all in there! easy haha

kingyxj 01-03-2011 11:53 PM

Have had the motor sitting in the engine bay on blocks of wood, had to get the angle grinder out to make some room with a bit of carefull cutting and a spray bottle full of water to put out any fires that may have started in the interior.. no carpet was harmed.
Still waiting for a rear sump for engine then i can make up the mounts and get the auto sparky over.

Wooders 02-03-2011 04:41 AM

Awesome project - nice solution for the deadsel.

JEEPCHIK 02-03-2011 07:46 AM

Can't wait to see the finished product.

bruggz351 02-03-2011 07:51 AM

Maaaaatteeee!!!! You gotta keep this one updated.. I have the same plan, except mine is a petrol auto.

You could've kept it all Jeep from the gearbox back, if you don't mind auto, because the 1UZ bolts up to the AW4. Same trans as in the Lexus. I'm especially interested in the amount of room in the engine bay and around ancillaries like brake booster and heater core pipes.

Good on ya for givin it a go, and keep us all posted on progress....:cool::cool:

cheers

kingyxj 02-03-2011 02:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 46285
The moment i realised it wasnt gonna be that simple..
Attachment 46286

Attachment 46287
Good to hear im not the only one, the auto would be awesome behind it i just wanted to stay manual mainly because i dont understand autos lol, il get some photos up when ive got the motor back in there its definately a tight fit but itl work.. it has too!!

bruggz351 02-03-2011 03:08 PM

:shock:Wow. 'tis a big job eh. Didn't realise the firewall needed remodelling.:(

cheers