AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Jeep Cherokee XJ 97 Crank no start sometimes it sputters (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157588)

Lenny6 29-04-2020 10:36 PM

Jeep Cherokee XJ 96 Crank no start sometimes it sputters

Hi all, yeah I know "what another newbie"

I have a jeep Cherokee XJ January 96 and I drove it home and into the garage came out the next morning. Key in and cranks but no start, If I turn the key really quick it will sputter. I thought it maybe the crank angle sensor fitted a new one then I thought maybe the fuel pump, pulled out the gauges and checked the pressure 49 psi. Still crank no start. Checked all the fuses, relays under hood and fuses relays inside under the dash, all good..

I was starting to think the SKIM might have decided to go boo!! boo!! but I figure it wouldn't let me even crank, it's odd though because it's not the original key, I've never had one but for the past ten years it always started so I guess the key is good.

I thinking of a jerry can and a match right at the moment!! Any Ideas Grrrrr!!!

Just checked fan relay and I have power at 3 terminals 12volts on power 12 volt on control and 5 volts opposite of control and that's without the relay being in the socket..

alexbrown64 29-04-2020 11:02 PM

That should be an easy one.

First, use the key trick... Turn your ignition on and off 3 times. On the third time, leave the ignition on and read the codes on the dash. It might give you a hint to what could be the problem.

You have checked fuel pressure, so i believe you are OK there. I am really suspecting the distributor. It could be as simple as the rotor button and/or cap. I have had rotor buttons eaten up on my XJ.

Also, the Cam position sensor in there could of gone out. Cheap to replace. Mine cut out a few months ago and no start at all!! 5 minute fix once i got the part.

Also, had a coil go out once, so check that.. and the lead from the coil to distributor. So you may need a helper to crank the Jeep while checking for a good spark from coil to distributor, then good sparks from each of the leads out of the distributor.

Good luck,

Cheers,

rainman 30-04-2020 10:56 AM

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...a221b33183.png

Jimmyb 30-04-2020 12:41 PM

I remember having the base plate inside the dizzy also go out once on me many moons ago, had forgotten that one.

Lenny6 02-05-2020 05:03 PM

Been 2 weeks now still "crank no start" found a few problems though. Got out the test light, pulled the relays to find the thermo fan has power on 3 poles. The third pole just lights (very dull) the other poles really bright. Gee I wish I could get some help, looks like a auto electrician is of the order. Hanged if I can find the problem..

Len

LuluBelle 02-05-2020 05:50 PM

Lenny did you check what rainman posted?
Check for Spark First if you go to a auto sparky it will cost you $$$ you can run all those tests yourself it could be something as simple as a bad coil or a cam sensor
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

alexbrown64 02-05-2020 06:29 PM

I sent a pm back Len,

Got me stumped. If your cranking and have fuel, it should be a spark/timing issue.
Can you answer each of rainmans questions on here.
If we methodically go through each bit, we may be able to help, including running some tests on our own Jeeps to help.

Also, check the wiring harnesses between the cam, tps, crank sensors. These can get hot and melt.

Are you getting any spark at all from before or after the distributor?

Cheers,