AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   HID Headlight globes (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162146)

IFLYRC 28-04-2024 10:48 PM

HID Headlight globes

Hi Knowledge Team

Which of these two HIDs would be a better choice:

EXELITE EXD3S D3S HID XENON HEADLIGHT GLOBES ($159.95 for a pair), or

STEDI D3S XENON 35W HID KIT ($145 for a pair), or

Xenon D3S Bulb Osram Xenarc Night Breaker Laser +200% - 66340XNL ($270 for two).

My drivers side lamp went dead :roll:

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Eddie

drover 29-04-2024 06:47 AM

First at those prices I would be confirming that it is actually the unit thats stuffed not a connector, Im sure you can swap sides, I would also buy from a shop front like Repco etc , less chance of post damage and trying to exchange...... I would go a pair to keep the light balanced.
Be interesting to see the recomendations .... not much night driving nowadays to be able to advise.

layback40 29-04-2024 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drover (Post 1695974)
First at those prices I would be confirming that it is actually the unit thats stuffed not a connector, Im sure you can swap sides, I would also buy from a shop front like Repco etc , less chance of post damage and trying to exchange...... I would go a pair to keep the light balanced.
Be interesting to see the recomendations .... not much night driving nowadays to be able to advise.

I had my RHS HID in my XJ stop working a few days ago.
Yes they are HID, I did the conversion many years ago.
I was given a HID set & decided to try it.
I should have stayed with the halogen ones!
One globe failed about 3 years ago & could not get an exact fit.
The ones I got I pulled one globe from its housing & replaced only the globe element.
Was expecting to need to do the same.
Pulled the globe out yesterday, disconnected everything & reconnected it all again & now it works.
They appear to dislike cold dry weather.
You cant test the voltage at the globe.
They give a spike over 1kv when turned on that will destroy your multimeter!
Lucky I was using a cheap one!
I think the globes run at over 100v normally.

Trailfirst 17-05-2024 12:17 PM

I had to do ours - factory HID - last year and actually got slightly "warmer" than I think were originally in it - ie. not exactly yellow, but not as stark white / blueish as the originals - and we noticed it was MUCH better immediately in rainy / misty weather. Really frustrated I can't think what the damned "K" number was :-(