AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Which shockers? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151791)

SouthernComfort 11-01-2018 06:33 AM

Which shockers?

My 2013 Laredo has the standard Quadra-Trac II suspension and shocks. And yes, it has that light rattle over bumps at slow speeds which I understand is due to a design glitch with the rear shock upper mounts. It's not bad, just mildly irritating. Jeep aren't too interested unless I want to fork out $1000 plus fitting for new rear shocks with revised mountings.

I haven't had the car long and I'm just setting up for towing a caravan at 2100kg ATM, well within the car's capacity. My main question is, should I forget about going for more Jeep shocks just to get the new mountings, or would I be better off uprating to aftermarket HD rear shocks? I had Pedders HD rear shocks and coils put on my old Territory and it was a good conversion for towing. Does anyone have these or similar aftermarkets on the GC, especially for towing?

67HR 13-01-2018 08:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernComfort (Post 1627315)
My 2013 Laredo has the standard Quadra-Trac II suspension and shocks. And yes, it has that light rattle over bumps at slow speeds which I understand is due to a design glitch with the rear shock upper mounts. It's not bad, just mildly irritating. Jeep aren't too interested unless I want to fork out $1000 plus fitting for new rear shocks with revised mountings.

I haven't had the car long and I'm just setting up for towing a caravan at 2100kg ATM, well within the car's capacity. My main question is, should I forget about going for more Jeep shocks just to get the new mountings, or would I be better off uprating to aftermarket HD rear shocks? I had Pedders HD rear shocks and coils put on my old Territory and it was a good conversion for towing. Does anyone have these or similar aftermarkets on the GC, especially for towing?

SouthernComfort, I'd remind Jeep there is a TSB Recall to rectify this issue for your build date!
I've had my MY14 Jan build done and it made a huge difference.
Sorry can't seem to see how to upload TSB PDF so here is screen shot of important details. Give it a go!

Titch101 13-01-2018 04:38 PM

From memory if you replace the standard nivomat rear shocks with something else it downgrades the tow rating. I am waiting for Outback Armour to hopefully release their new adjustable struts for the WK2, I have a 2" lift already but only standard front shocks and i would like to change them out at some point.

SouthernComfort 14-01-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67HR (Post 1627431)
SouthernComfort, I'd remind Jeep there is a TSB Recall to rectify this issue for your build date!
I've had my MY14 Jan build done and it made a huge difference.
Sorry can't seem to see how to upload TSB PDF so here is screen shot of important details. Give it a go!

Thanks 67HR, I knew it wasn't a recall item but I will follow this up.