AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   KL Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   What do We Want? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142413)

260DET 16-01-2016 08:36 AM

What do We Want?

As an improvement.

Me, a bigger significantly more powerful diesel engine. The KL has a great chassis, well balanced, nice to drive. Plus it fits in size wise for a lot of people who really don't need an oversize truck that hogs parking spaces. More power would put the KL into a class of it's own and would justify a $50k price tag.

What do you think, what would you like?

lujabe 16-01-2016 10:42 AM

A manual transmission!

And yeah, I'd agree about the diesel. My folks love my TH and would love a Cherokee, but they also tow a caravan regularly and want a diesel, but the 2.0 diesel doesn't have enough grunt for their needs. I imagine for a lot of buyers the diesel Cherokee slips between the cracks for similar reasons. Dad loves the GC and would be happy with that, but mum isnt a fan. A Cherokee with a 2.5 or 2.8 diesel would suit them to a t.

SeaComms 16-01-2016 08:13 PM

An explanation!

Of how all the bits interact so you know exactly what each setting is doing. Have been looking for ages and now awaiting an answer from the dealer or Jeep itself.

Sent from a tiny mobile device with fat thumbs...

russellt 17-01-2016 10:04 PM

An extra 15-20 litres of fuel tank capacity would be nice, and a matching alloy spare wheel...

260DET 18-01-2016 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lujabe (Post 1564168)
A manual transmission!

And yeah, I'd agree about the diesel. My folks love my TH and would love a Cherokee, but they also tow a caravan regularly and want a diesel, but the 2.0 diesel doesn't have enough grunt for their needs. I imagine for a lot of buyers the diesel Cherokee slips between the cracks for similar reasons. Dad loves the GC and would be happy with that, but mum isnt a fan. A Cherokee with a 2.5 or 2.8 diesel would suit them to a t.

With the excellent tow rating of the KL a significant part of the tow vehicle market is being neglected by using a too small diesel I think. To get enough power to tow a caravan comfortably people are being forced to buy bigger, more expensive vehicles.

Jeep need to overcome the bad reputation they have with a lot of people, one way to do that is to offer something exceptional, extra power is one way to do that.

OPM 19-01-2016 07:36 AM

+1 the bigger diesel. The 2.2L available in Europe is 150kw and 440nm, and actually has slightly better fuel economy than the 2.0L. That's an attractive proposition.

The KL is definitely close to being an "exceptional" vehicle. If you want a mid-size diesel with car-like handling and a proper 4wd system, it's just about your only choice currently available on the market.

Other ways to make it more exceptional...? I reckon a better right-hand drive conversion -- e.g. a footrest(!) and have you ever noticed that the centre of the dash (i.e. the UConnect screen and controls) is actually slightly off-centre and oriented to the left...?!

260DET 22-01-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OPM (Post 1564441)
+1 the bigger diesel. The 2.2L available in Europe is 150kw and 440nm, and actually has slightly better fuel economy than the 2.0L. That's an attractive proposition.

The KL is definitely close to being an "exceptional" vehicle. If you want a mid-size diesel with car-like handling and a proper 4wd system, it's just about your only choice currently available on the market.

Agree 100% and not because I, aka Mr Fussy, own one. Unfortunately the KL seems to be neglected by Jeep and really the diesel is over priced compared with the GC. A 2.2 for the KL would help there.