AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Newbie looking to buy WJ/WG (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153199)

ShaneWJ 02-07-2018 06:49 PM

I do like them but im also a bit worried...

Where can I get this diagnostic tool? link?

Not having a dipstick was very concerning.

ShaneWJ 02-07-2018 07:25 PM

These common leaks for age? 180k on clock.

Over filling due to no dipstick cause main seal to blow out?

JeanLuke 02-07-2018 08:53 PM

If you have concerns, move on. There are several WG's on the market at the moment. The missing dip stick would be a red flag to me.

For the diagnostics, read the software page at www.jeepswj.com that I posted earlier. You need an Android device to run the software and the ELM327 interface to talk to the Jeep.

bodgie 02-07-2018 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaneWJ (Post 1636263)
These common leaks for age? 180k on clock.

Over filling due to no dipstick cause main seal to blow out?

The hose on the power steering pump is pretty normal, if the hose is still the original. As others have mentions, this is reasonably easy to repair.

My front seal is good at 250,000km, the rear seal has been weeping for a while though, a bit harder to replace.

Dispstick should be easy and not overly expensive, I'd be surprised if a Sprinter one isn't the same, or at least very similar. I'm sure one of us can measure ours up when you want to source one.

Black death even if fixed may still be an issue. I've never had a problem on mine but I addressed the seals before I had issues, I've also replaced all of the injectors.

Another will turn up if you're concerned about this one. I'd rather wait than buy the first one that's available, unless of course the price is right.

Jason

ShaneWJ 03-07-2018 06:46 PM

Yeah giving that one a miss.

180k seems to be around the $6k mark for these. Sound about right?

Thanks

Classic Boy 04-07-2018 11:06 AM

If I were you and you wanted to get a WG look for a low KM's I6 petrol powered one get a laredo with up-country suspension pack, they are a reliable motor trans combo, with enough power to tow.

A family WG that my daughter regularly uses for pulling a horse float achieves around 11.6L/Km when not towing and mid 14's when towing, and hers is approaching 350,000kms and the head has never been off.
Most of the CRD's will be getting to the expensive maintenance part in their lives and will likely be money pits.
The V8's are not overly reliable either with many suffering serious problems before 200,000kms.
If you want an example at how reliable the I6 is just ask the XJ owners many of their cars are well over 300,000kms and still going strong.

rustyjk 08-07-2018 09:13 AM

interesting read, I just bought an 04 CRD 2 owner car with 117k on the clock, nobody wanted it at 3k so we offered $2500, it needed a new battery, rh window reg, exhaust clip/clamp and the rear calipers are dragging occasionally all common issues and cheap to fix, no sign of black death and the old girl goes like a rocket, we have decided to keep her and spend a few bucks to setup as a trail rig, heres hoping its not a bad decision haha, BTW my 5th jeep so I'm a sucker for punishment...
they seem to be pretty good bang for bucks,
Cheers Russ...