AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   OBD11 what data to monitor? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146530)

ginga 17-11-2016 12:45 PM

OBD11 what data to monitor?

Hi guys
I've just landed an engine data scanner (made by Berrima Diesel) & wondered what PID's other people with this capability monitor for improved performance.
This scanner allows me to monitor & measure up to 4 different sets of information.
Don't need to monitor what existing information is available via the instrumentation & GPS so want to focus on data not otherwise available such as calculated load value (LOD) etc.
All suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

roscoea26 18-11-2016 07:28 AM

ginga, I don't have the EDS but I do have an Ultra Gauge and on the front screen I monitor:

Air Intake temperature
Transmission Temperature
Engine Temperature
Torque (probably LOD on the EDS)
It also monitors the engine health via a pulsating heart.

Unfortunately the gauge doesn't measure EGT but I'm thinking of getting a gauge and tap it into the exhaust pipe, my pipe does have a tap to do this just haven't got around to it.

Hope this helps.

ginga 18-11-2016 01:40 PM

Thanks roscoea26
The eds scanner isn't as sophisticated as all that & my choices are more limited & only able to show 4 measurements at any one time.
Probably will settle on: engine coolant temp; calculated load value (LOD); intake air temperature; & battery voltage.
Appreciate the reply.

Clarky 18-11-2016 01:49 PM

x2 on battery voltage, the number 1 cause for road service call out.

Transmission temp, I was amazed how hot my trans could get & a simple gear change could make it drop temp as much as 10 deg.

roscoea26 18-11-2016 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky (Post 1596658)
x2 on battery voltage, the number 1 cause for road service call out.

Transmission temp, I was amazed how hot my trans could get & a simple gear change could make it drop temp as much as 10 deg.

I've always towed all of the caravans I've owned in 4th gear, whenever I've had it in drive the transmission temp rises as does the engine temp drop it down to 4th and the trans temp drops as does the engine temp.

The vehicle's temperature gauge doesn't show the real picture in relation to engine temperature fluctuations. It wasn't until I got the Ultra gauge that the true picture revealed itself. The WH doesn't have a transmission gauge so I had no idea how the transmission temperature fluctuates either

There's a very good article in the Caravan and motorhome magazine No.233 page 120 concerning towing with an auto transmission.

It confirms what I have found as you probably have too clarky, higher gears and lower revs do not always result in better economy. I have found that while using 4th gear increases the revs there in minimal impact on economy. In fact I have found that there is slightly better economy.

The article has identified that probably the most common mistake when towing in the drive position is that this reduces fuel consumption and load. However, the fact is that driving in the drive position will contribute to high heat generation in the transmission and overheating in many cases.

It's fairly safe to say that it is generally better to select a lower gear to control heat and increase reliability

Clarky 18-11-2016 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roscoea26 (Post 1596699)
I've always towed all of the caravans I've owned in 4th gear, whenever I've had it in drive the transmission temp rises as does the engine temp drop it down to 4th and the trans temp drops as does the engine temp.

The vehicle's temperature gauge doesn't show the real picture in relation to engine temperature fluctuations. It wasn't until I got the Ultra gauge that the true picture revealed itself. The WH doesn't have a transmission gauge so I had no idea how the transmission temperature fluctuates either

There's a very good article in the Caravan and motorhome magazine No.233 page 120 concerning towing with an auto transmission.

It confirms what I have found as you probably have too clarky, higher gears and lower revs do not always result in better economy. I have found that while using 4th gear increases the revs there in minimal impact on economy. In fact I have found that there is slightly better economy.

The article has identified that probably the most common mistake when towing in the drive position is that this reduces fuel consumption and load. However, the fact is that driving in the drive position will contribute to high heat generation in the transmission and overheating in many cases.

Now if we could get a manual torque converter lock like they sell for Nisota's we would all have lower trans temps.

It's fairly safe to say that it is generally better to select a lower gear to control heat and increase reliability

Well no I had the opposite in fact.

With the lift & bigger tyres & sitting on the speed limit (100/110) between Port Augusta & Coober If I was in 4th my temps would rise. Engine rose to 5/8 on the gauge & trans got to 110+.

In 5th temp dropped to just over half & trans temps wend down to hover between 96 & 98, every time the trans kicked back to 4th the temps went up.

Now I applied a bit of back yard logic to this & I reckon the torque converter wasn't locking in 4th due to the larger tyres. When in 5th the converter locked so the temps went down.

But that's for another topic.

roscoea26 19-11-2016 06:53 AM

That's very interesting clarky, I take my bigger tyres off when towing the van and go back to my standard second set.

A few years ago (2008) when I was in Kalgoolie I met a fellow at the caravan park there with a WH CRD with oversize tyres, he was towing a 3t +Bushtracker. Believe it or not he had a busted/twisted tail shaft and the rear uni had let go. The vehicle was still under warranty and JA refused to fix it under warranty because the vehicle had oversize tyres.

He was arguing that the drive shaft was weak and had been sitting there for over a month and not getting anywhere...I don't know how he got on with it.

After seeing that I'm a bit dubious about towing heavy trailers with oversize tyres

The local tyre dealer mentioned to me when I got the oversize tyres that he wouldn't recommend that I tow my van with them on,besides I really only bought them for offroading and beach fishing at Fraser