AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Towing a camper with a Penstar auto (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137843)

MattP 09-02-2015 09:35 PM

Towing a camper with a Penstar auto

I have been wading my way though the threads and the back and forth on the diesel versus petrol threads. I truly understand that the diesel is the best for towing though there are drawbacks on cost of maintenance, higher parts cost, and expensive repairs. I understand the preventative measures you can take (Provent, regular oil and filter changes, buying pre-filters for fuel, EGR mods etc.) but after owning an XJ diesel I know the issues. I'm thinking of upgrading to a JK and figured I will have to buy the diesel since I will be towing 1600kg camper. Can anybody comment on towing something that weight with the Penstar auto? I'm happy to pay the extra fuel (extra 4-5 l/100km?) but is it tolerable to drive when hitting hills. I don't mind small challenges, I do that with the XJ, and I'm happy to motor at 95 kph ? Thanks for any feedback.

ozbogan 10-02-2015 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattP (Post 1517916)
I have been wading my way though the threads and the back and forth on the diesel versus petrol threads. I truly understand that the diesel is the best for towing though there are drawbacks on cost of maintenance, higher parts cost, and expensive repairs. I understand the preventative measures you can take (Provent, regular oil and filter changes, buying pre-filters for fuel, EGR mods etc.) but after owning an XJ diesel I know the issues. I'm thinking of upgrading to a JK and figured I will have to buy the diesel since I will be towing 1600kg camper. Can anybody comment on towing something that weight with the Penstar auto? I'm happy to pay the extra fuel (extra 4-5 l/100km?) but is it tolerable to drive when hitting hills. I don't mind small challenges, I do that with the XJ, and I'm happy to motor at 95 kph ? Thanks for any feedback.

Mate I have. Pentastar / auto and regularly tow a 1500kg trailer all over the place. I have had no issues whatsoever and find it tows well. I don't think you have any issue.

outbreakmonkey 10-02-2015 05:46 AM

Personally would go the Grand Cherokee Diesel unless you plan on doing really tough offroading. It will still do moderate offroad but will be comfy and tow a trailer much better.

Brendanteck 10-02-2015 06:18 AM

I run a 1200 kg camper on the back of my jk 3.6. Towed it from Melbourne to Ayres rock and back and to Northern nsw a few times. Doesn't cause me any grief and tows well. Much better than the hilux I used to have. Mine has 285 70 17 tyres on it with stock gears. I still overtake desil patrols on big hills with ease.

chris0375 10-02-2015 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendanteck (Post 1517941)
I run a 1200 kg camper on the back of my jk 3.6. Towed it from Melbourne to Ayres rock and back and to Northern nsw a few times. Doesn't cause me any grief and tows well. Much better than the hilux I used to have. Mine has 285 70 17 tyres on it with stock gears. I still overtake desil patrols on big hills with ease.

Do you know what average economy was? I am curious. Just about everything will overtake a diesel patrol!

Zerofallen 10-02-2015 09:09 AM

My manual JK 3.6 regularly tows roughly 2t of car and trailer to Winton from SE suburbs with little problem... It's just a little sluggish on acceleration sometimes.
Came from Bayswater one evening and took the back way through the hills and again, no problems.

Economy is average... Around 350km to the tank from memory. Maybe a little more. Definitely no more than 400km.

ozbogan 10-02-2015 12:48 PM

fully loaded with family and trailer, we avg 18l/100 including but that was a fair bit of low range work as well. I have two tanks and can work on 800km to a fill up loaded.