AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Transgo Shift Kit and Sonnax Pressure Booster. (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118527)

mek67j 31-08-2012 08:30 AM

Transgo Shift Kit and Sonnax Pressure Booster.

Hi all,

Has anyone installed the Transgo HD2 shift kit and Sonnax Line Pressure booster to their 45RFE transmission ?

I am about to do it when I service my tranny in the next week or two and was interested in what to expect if anything during install and also afterwards performance wise.

Ive read a fair bit on it and was keen for some feedback from anyone who has done it here.

briteway 31-08-2012 10:25 AM

I was also thinking of doing the same but couldn't get motivated enough. I read a lot on the US forums about it and nothing but positive feedback. If you do go ahead with it, let us know how it goes. You could possibly do a write-up.

mek67j 31-08-2012 01:59 PM

I will. I have always thought that the engine was ballsy enough the 45/5-45 tranny has always let it down with the "comfort" tuning by Chrysler.

When I disconnected the torque management it made a huge difference cause the car went from beast to sporty instantly in engine/tranny response. I was going to do the line pressure boost on the cheap (10c cheap) but have gone for the sonnax cause i don't want to hack any wiring down below and its just plug n play.

Lets see how I go.

HighOutput 31-08-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mek67j (Post 1312539)
When I disconnected the torque management it made a huge difference cause the car went from beast to sporty instantly in engine/tranny response.

I have no idea what ya all talking about, but sounds promising.

mek67j 31-08-2012 08:20 PM

HO

One of the things manufacturers do is have the PCM manage the torque output to the tranny by retarding the engine timing to ensure a smooth shift.

So by example you are stopped at the lights. The TCM is monitoring the Input and output shaft speeds as well as the transmission fluid pressure. You go to WOT when the lights change and the PCM by way of the TPS dials down the engine timing so the box goes through its sequence of shifts (no burnouts so to speak). By removing the torque management between the PCM & TCM you dont get this dial down so to speak and burnouts at the lights are possible. Unfortunately the line pressure remains the same so the clutches done move as quick hence you need to boost the line pressure to the packs. If anyone is interested can tell you how to do it, it literally takes seconds

Troutman 31-08-2012 09:53 PM

I'd be interested to hear more about this mek67j. I have also read in a few places the PCM managing torque is to reduce shock loading & wear to the driveline and thereby increase life of components. Obviously no such thing as a free lunch but I'd be interested to hear of people's experiences who have done this mod.

SNOWG 01-09-2012 07:34 AM

I have the Sonnax in, and 2 weeks from doing Transgo, can't wait, (next service when Amazon ATF4 arrives - nice one mek)
I think the Sonnax is better than the resistor that comes with the transgo.
All good reviews, except one where sometimes when slowing down say for red lights, just before you completely stop theirs a CLUNK in the tranny as it drops back. It's well documented, infact I had this happen few years back for a few weeks with standard set up, then it disappeared.
All in all the improvements out weights this and it did not seem to happen to everyone.