AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Question Polls (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   doors off (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102276)

banditwrx 31-12-2010 05:49 PM

doors off

is it illeagal in aus. have seen a few peeps in perth getting around . i've had mine off as well. but rang around and couldn't really get an answer.

brenttj 31-12-2010 06:35 PM

i got yellow sticker 3 weeks ago for no doors and the guy at the pits reckons you have to have them but then i was talking to a snr sergeant and he reckons that you can have them off but no one wanted to put it in writing but the guy at the pits was adamant that you had to have them on even if they have no intrusion bars in them

Judd 31-12-2010 06:43 PM

i wish these people knew what they where talking about, cos i dont want to take mine off and get a defect and have to change a heap of things for the RTA

brenttj 31-12-2010 07:14 PM

yeah leave them on not worth the hassle

Wooders 31-12-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brenttj (Post 1153650)
i got yellow sticker 3 weeks ago for no doors and the guy at the pits reckons you have to have them but then i was talking to a snr sergeant and he reckons that you can have them off but no one wanted to put it in writing but the guy at the pits was adamant that you had to have them on even if they have no intrusion bars in them

This is no easy topic:
Did you have relocated mirrors?
What model/year? (My CJ5 & CJ6 never had doors).
Can the doors be removed without tools?

Did the pits dude quote why?
There is no specific statement in the ADR's (that I am aware of) that states the vehicle must have doors. Even intrusion bars - the ADR simply says the doors must have them, not that you must have doors.

The only possible leg that could argue is that the vehicle was crash tested with the doors in place. But then again compared to say....a motorbike...or...

But end of the day it's such a grey area that a cop in a bad mood could just ping you for it anyhow out of ignorance/arrogance.

brenttj 31-12-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooders (Post 1153671)
This is no easy topic:
Did you have relocated mirrors?
What model/year? (My CJ5 & CJ6 never had doors).
Can the doors be removed without tools?

Did the pits dude quote why?
There is no specific statement in the ADR's (that I am aware of) that states the vehicle must have doors. Even intrusion bars - the ADR simply says the doors must have them, not that you must have doors.

The only possible leg that could argue is that the vehicle was crash tested with the doors in place. But then again compared to say....a motorbike...or...

But end of the day it's such a grey area that a cop in a bad mood could just ping you for it anyhow out of ignorance/arrogance.

exactly mate they can sticker you if the suspect it is illegal and the guys at the pits are just as clue less as the police mate so my doors now stay on

banditwrx 01-01-2011 07:54 AM

yeah i reckon that it would be up to the discretion of the popo on the day.
there will be a clause in the adr's that would clarify this but i had down loaded them and alot of the wording is so unclear it makes your head spin.
i am a mechanic by trade and have done inspections and the only reason i can see for having to keep them on is if they form a structure of the vehicle. or when it comes to side intrusion protection. the later of which in my thoughts would only apply to a JK.
have to do some more reading.