AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   JK Unlimited Petrol / Diesel Life Expectancy Pro's/Cons (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153535)

dieselsmells 03-08-2018 01:32 PM

JK Unlimited Petrol / Diesel Life Expectancy Pro's/Cons

I've been here before, but I'm really torn between a diesel or a Petrol 3.6 both with about 160K on them....that's all my budget allows.....
Just as a fun runabout, occasional weekend plaything...
Also, what is the life expectancy for a manual transmission as well?
Sorry for these questions.....
I currently own an old WJ 4.0 for the last 5 years so I'm quite familiar with the Jeep idiosyncrasies
Ive seen heaps of cheap 3.8 but I think the updated dash and better power output sounds better with the 3.6 Pentastar

eksjay 04-08-2018 07:37 PM

I think anything with a 4.0L will outlast most other engines. I have a 4.0L XJ and a 3.6L JKU. My cast iron engine will probably outlive the Pentastar.

The 4.0L is lazy and does things easily. The 3.6L is quite powerful hauling a heavier car which kind of squares them up in terms of response and power.

I went petrol in the JKU because I don't want to have big ticket repairs and maintenance long after the warranty has expired. There are many that will disagree with me, but you just have to look at the quantity of Jeep diesels for re sale when compared to petrol.

JusyApples 04-08-2018 09:44 PM

It's a debate which will never give you an answer

layback40 04-08-2018 10:18 PM

If you have only ever owned petrol cars in the past you probably wont like diesels.

Turismo07 06-08-2018 10:53 AM

Get the 3.6. You said that all you want is a runaround and occasional wheeling trips, petrol engines are perfect for this.

The CRD is great if it has been maintained well, but parts are expensive, maintenance is expensive, and while it provides improved economy and nice torque, its all not worth it unless you are doing long trips and really get the CRD working/cruising on longer drives. Thats my opinion.

Put the best oil you can afford in the manual trans, make sure its full synth, don't try to do quick shifts like you can in a sports car, and it should last forever. I have Redline oil in my trans and it shifts beautifully.

dieselsmells 06-08-2018 11:19 AM

Yeah ..I actually purchased a 3.6 on Sunday.....took it for a drive and it was awesome... compared to the WJ...

Sent from my Mi A1 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

Grippy 06-08-2018 04:22 PM

What WJ did you come from? Motor I mean?
How does the JK compare for comfort etc?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app