AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   QL Shock absorber upgrade? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153678)

Trailhawk 22-08-2018 12:03 PM

QL Shock absorber upgrade?

Hi All,

My 2013 Trailhawk comes with Quadralift. Its traveled around 130,000km and both front shocks have light clunks on normal roads. I do drive this off-road a lot and have over heated the LH front shock on a very undulating sand track back in 2016 where it started to knock pretty badly and stopped after I rested the car for half an hour. Anyway... If, I'm to keep this car, and I would like too, I am determined to upgrade the front and rear shock absorbers. Seeing as there does not seem to be an aftermarket upgrade available, has anyone taken this on and tried to adapt the air springs to a non-QL Bilstein shock?

I'm not scared to make spring seats or what ever is required.

chocco 25-08-2018 09:47 AM

Hi Matt,

How’s it been. There is an aftermarket direct OEM replacement for the air shocks, if I remember there are 2 manufactures that make them I know ones out of China, I’ll dig up the thread it was on Jeep Garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nigelh2 25-08-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocco (Post 1638645)
Hi Matt,

How’s it been. There is an aftermarket direct OEM replacement for the air shocks, if I remember there are 2 manufactures that make them I know ones out of China, I’ll dig up the thread it was on Jeep Garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same problem with my 2012 Overland. Looking fwd to that info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chocco 25-08-2018 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trailhawk (Post 1638508)
Hi All,

My 2013 Trailhawk comes with Quadralift. Its traveled around 130,000km and both front shocks have light clunks on normal roads. I do drive this off-road a lot and have over heated the LH front shock on a very undulating sand track back in 2016 where it started to knock pretty badly and stopped after I rested the car for half an hour. Anyway... If, I'm to keep this car, and I would like too, I am determined to upgrade the front and rear shock absorbers. Seeing as there does not seem to be an aftermarket upgrade available, has anyone taken this on and tried to adapt the air springs to a non-QL Bilstein shock?

I'm not scared to make spring seats or what ever is required.

Here’s one of them, I’ll find the other later.

https://www.suncoreindustries.com/pr...grand-cherokee

chocco 25-08-2018 04:07 PM

Found it, reco not new.

http://www.rebuildmastertech.com/jee...ut-68059904ad/

Trailhawk 27-08-2018 02:04 PM

Hey Marc,

Thanks for that, I've found a couple of companies (in the US) who will rebuild them and another who will sell new genuine struts for far cheaper than from Mopar direct or FCA, but... I'm looking next level. I want to replace the standard strut with a quality strut like a Bilstein or Koni, something that improves the vehicle. I do not think the standard suspension is bad, I mean how many cars out there handle like ours and can be super effective off road? But the shocks do struggle once the weight gets up there and I have had the LH front knock really badly once in some constant undulations, so much so, I would not take the vehicle into those sorts of conditions again, which makes me think about buying another car, which, I don't want to do right now.

chocco 27-08-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trailhawk (Post 1638752)
Hey Marc,

Thanks for that, I've found a couple of companies (in the US) who will rebuild them and another who will sell new genuine struts for far cheaper than from Mopar direct or FCA, but... I'm looking next level. I want to replace the standard strut with a quality strut like a Bilstein or Koni, something that improves the vehicle. I do not think the standard suspension is bad, I mean how many cars out there handle like ours and can be super effective off road? But the shocks do struggle once the weight gets up there and I have had the LH front knock really badly once in some constant undulations, so much so, I would not take the vehicle into those sorts of conditions again, which makes me think about buying another car, which, I don't want to do right now.

Can you use the current Trailhhawk shock in yours, I believe it has a longer throw.