AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   AUSJEEP Updates and News (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Problem on main page with IE7 (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79682)

Gojeep 19-08-2008 06:05 PM

Problem on main page with IE7

Don't know if others are getting this but since switching to IE7, the main forum index page is not working as it should. In IE7 you can open links on a new tab in the back ground by holding down the control key while clicking on the link. This works perfectly on every other site and even this one once off the index page. When I do this on the index page it opens the new page, as it should on a new tab in the background, but it then also changes the index page to the same page!!!???
So on the index page only I have to right click the links and choose open in new tab to get it to work as it should. Just a pain to remember each time as that page is the only one on the web I have come across that is not doing it correctly. Can something be done about this?

Gojeep 19-08-2008 06:08 PM

Also just noticed that the sub section under the 4 sale part also does this.

Brettski 19-08-2008 10:07 PM

It does this in Opera as well. The reason is because there is some Javascript that opens the new page for you (which happens in the original tab you have open) and because you're done the Control-Click thing IE opens another new tab for you. It is most annoying.

I've fixed the problem in Opera by disabling Javascript for this site (and this site only) but I'm not sure the IE7 is that flexible. The only downside to doing that is that the menu system doesn't work but in Opera it is trivial to re-enable if I need to do stuff.

My guess is that the Javascript is there so that you can click anywhere inside a box rather than just on the text. That just seems lazy. ;-)

B.

Gojeep 20-08-2008 11:22 AM

Thanks for the insight into another browser as well. Looks like you narrowed it down too. Not sure why the index pages were setup with a different javascript though to the rest? Sounds like though it should be easy enough to fix as just make it the same as the correct operating pages on this this site.
Will this be looked into?

ZJ from WA 20-08-2008 11:25 AM

the only thing i ever use IE7 for is downloading firefox when i got my computer - heaps less viruses target fire fox and looks just like explorer but work better. that s my sales pitch for the day.

Simsy85 20-08-2008 01:28 PM

Try avant too... it works tops..

Gojeep 20-08-2008 05:39 PM

Been thinking of Firefox this week actually. How do you open the extra tabs in that and do you have the same problem on this site?