AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Jk Diff into rear of WG (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151946)

Goneagain 26-01-2018 03:47 PM

Jk Diff into rear of WG

I am investigating putting a JK Dana 44 into the rear of my WG and want to know if the WG Disk brakes will be just be bolt on or need modification?

I have the 2014 JK Dana 44 Diff without disks and it has a Eaton True Trac already bolted in with only 10,000K.

Any help gratefully received.

Hoobz 26-01-2018 04:23 PM

Don't know about brake compatibility

You probably already know, but the JK diff has a wms of 65.25", WJ 63.5"

Might be handy to know if you didn't

Goneagain 26-01-2018 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoobz (Post 1628251)
Don't know about brake compatibility

You probably already know, but the JK diff has a wms of 65.25", WJ 63.5"

Might be handy to know if you didn't

Yes thanks Hoobz, I did not know exactly the size, which is good to know, we had roughly measured it and it did seem wider which we will need to accommodate.

Roady 26-01-2018 05:36 PM

Not sure about the JK diff but couple years ago I put a TJ 44 into my ZJ and used the ZJ discs. I had to get some deeper axle retainer's from the States to allow this. Only because the TJ didn't have disc's and the ZJ did. I also had to get all the mounting's changed obviously to fit it in there.
Best way is try matching your backing plate up and see if the holes match then the callipers too I guess. Ok, so long as you got spare and access to the diff housing.
Be following this for future.

Goneagain 26-01-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roady (Post 1628256)
Not sure about the JK diff but couple years ago I put a TJ 44 into my ZJ and used the ZJ discs. I had to get some deeper axle retainer's from the States to allow this. Only because the TJ didn't have disc's and the ZJ did. I also had to get all the mounting's changed obviously to fit it in there.
Best way is try matching your backing plate up and see if the holes match then the callipers too I guess. Ok, so long as you got spare and access to the diff housing.
Be following this for future.

Thanks Roady, That again is good information the 2014 JK Rear had Disks so it may not be a problem but it is good to know I will keep an eye on it.

Tell me how did your ZJ like the TJ 44 in the rear?

Roady 26-01-2018 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yea went real well. As I said I had to get it modified with all the mountings, I found an old retired engineer who had a great workshop at home n he made a jig to suit and just started cutting the old diff to pieces. I also put airlockers in front and back and regeared to 4.56 plus put US Alloy axles in the 44. Wooders actually supplied so much info and parts that went into that car, was unbelieveable. He suggested the axle retainers to suit the brake swap. Once finished you couldn't tell the difference except for the locker airline.

Kiwi Jeeper 26-01-2018 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goneagain (Post 1628258)
Thanks Roady, That again is good information the 2014 JK Rear had Disks so it may not be a problem but it is good to know I will keep an eye on it.

Tell me how did your ZJ like the TJ 44 in the rear?

TJ, XJ and ZJ swaps with each other are relatively easier than others. Often TJ drum brakes are replaced with ZJ disc brakes, no modifications. WG and JK swap would not be simple. You'll have to look at spring bucket and control arm bracket positions as well as brakes.