AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   WH CRD another diff gone bugger!! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104386)

johnv 17-03-2011 03:43 PM

WH CRD another diff gone bugger!!

Well, after my Rear Diff rebuild last year in Rockhampton, (yes DC Motors did a good job) I now have my Front Diff being noisy at between 80 to 100 Kmh and generally whilst under load i.e accelerating/re-engaging the cruise control etc.

It is only faintly noticeable at town speeds and unless you know what to listen for, would just put it down to road noise at low speeds (0-80Kmh)

The mechanics at DC motors could not pick it up until I went for a drive with them out on the highway.

The 2007 build vehicle, purchased new in April 2008, WH CRD, has done 92,000 Km but is luckily (just) still under warranty so Jeep will fix the problem, however it raises an important question.

I purchased this vehicle as a tow vehicle, it has been exclusively serviced at Jeep dealerships and I have hapilly paid their steep charges, yesterday I sat down and calculated that approximately 30,000 Km have been towing a 2500Kg caravan, a fair safety margin considering the vehicle's 3500 Kg towing capicity.

It has done some offroad work, but never been thrashed or mistreated as anyone who knows me will testify and certainly never been in low range unless the gravel road conditions required it, I have been complimented on my driving techniques by a 4X4 driving instructor.

When the rear diff started making noise last year, I thought ah well, s##t happens, now this front one is doing similar things and needs to be repaired/replaced I am starting to contemplate the build quality and capicity of the vehicle going forward.

I certainly will be accepting the extended warranty offer which I am expecting shortly - I hope this warranty is as good as their current warranty has been?

Has anyone else had similar problems with their Grand Cherokee or Commander??

Bazza 17-03-2011 05:49 PM

Hi johnv, I have a 2005 Grand limited 4.7 with around 65000 k's and have been hearing similar noises to yours for a while now. Mine is around 60 kph only under acceleration and I seem to be the only one that can hear it. A couple of mechanics both jeep and non jeep cant pick it up. Unfortunately for me I have an aftermarket warranty so it wont be fixed unless it breaks. It has certainly made me think about trading the car which would be a pity as I really have enjoyed owning it Its hard to pin down but it sounds like the front diff to me.Cheers, Bazza

drj33p 17-03-2011 08:02 PM

I have a 2006 CRD with just on 80,000k's got the Jeep at 20,000k's and towed my 3t off roader for about 25,000k's of that with outback travel and a little 4WDriving and the Jeep is heavy and always dealer serviced, so fare, touch wood, no drammars.

crdrulz 17-03-2011 08:10 PM

This will sound totally stupid but...Last year i thought i had bad diff noises but it ended up being worn tyre noise!! Who knows it may be just that..

valpacer 18-03-2011 09:31 AM

I feel for you John! I havent had any diff issues with mine yet (also 2007 and now at 95k) and must admit im surprised i havent, as i have done at least 20k with a 3.5t transporter on the back, and it has had a pretty hard life off road and not a noise yet, albeit with some extra oil changes due to water.

Id be interested to know what they come up with for the front, as it does do a lot of work in our trucks.

Dave

johnv 23-03-2011 08:53 PM

Thanks Guys, I'm hoping to get a response over the coming days.

Yes we did at first think it was tyre noise or transfer case, the noise travelled through the drive train and sounded like it was somewhere around the front of the passenger seat.

The teks clipped electronic sensors to various parts of the vehicle, connected back to a reader and established that it was the front diff, very clever.

When the rear diff "went" last year the low whine sounded like it was either in the rear footwell or under the centre console, but clearly travelling along the drivetrain and easy to identify.

gawdzinner 24-03-2011 01:37 PM

how often do you change the diff fluid? I saw one service schedule that suggested every 25000KM, I plan to do mine every 30000KM