AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   bit the bullet (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161113)

emac 25-11-2022 04:55 PM

bit the bullet

1 Attachment(s)
ok so after 25 years ive decided to do the rear main seal, i looked at it 22 years ago but as it was my daily driver i chickened out.
recently i tried to kid myself that it was just a leaking rocker cover but nuhuh

so ive ordered the front and rear seals sump gasket and a timing chain and gears and gaskets

so when they arrive im digging in.

i guess at 29 years old next year and 450000+ kms its well due

and as i don't need to drive it , i can take my time.

ill probably do the crank damper as well but ill buy local for that as the cost of shipping that weight is a bit much

oh well hopefully all goes well

i would love to yank the motor and do a full rebuild but the cost for me is prohibitive, and as i have a wk2 its hard to justify

alexbrown64 26-11-2022 01:20 PM

Rear main is pretty easy on these old girls.
I’ve got a write up in my long XJ thread.

Good luck with it all.
450k is amazing.

Cheers,

awg 27-11-2022 04:45 PM

When I did my Harmonic balancer, it was cheaper via Rock Auto than buying locally, even after shipping.

You would be wise to do this and the front seal, which I did not do as it wasnt leaking.

It started leaking soon after of course

LuluBelle 27-11-2022 05:24 PM

emac as the boys said the rear main seal is shit easy get all your gear from rockauto at those kilometers do your timing chain and harmonic balancer i recently did all this to my 96 with over 400 thou on the clock and lets say it made a difference

emac 28-11-2022 11:37 AM

Yep, ive ordered timing chain and gears and tensioner, the rear seal and front seal and gaskets, from rock auto, i haven't ordered the harmonic balancer yet

tho i should have its 136.00 delivered so unless super cheap can do it for a similar price ill be ordering from rock auto

i should have checked but assumed due to the weight it would be more expensive

never mind there's no rush

ive been working on this jeep for 25 years now so a couple of months is nothing
hahahahah

LuluBelle 28-11-2022 06:12 PM

forget supercheap the only issue with rockauto is the $exchange rate$ at the moment and get the harmonic balancer at the same time my rule is get all the parts ..... procrastinate for a bit and eventually fix

eksjay 29-11-2022 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emac (Post 1688265)

i guess at 29 years old next year and 450000+ kms its well due

Your XJ could have powered the Orion spacecraft with that ODO reading.