AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   technical question sort of (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152812)

emac 07-05-2018 12:38 PM

technical question sort of

hi all, I've had an XJ limited for 20 years and so can comfortably say know i know 90's jeeps. ( the XJ is a 1994 with 437000km)

so i got lucky and came across a 1999 ZJ grand cherokee limited, 375000 km on it and unregistered, just expired, excellent body work stock as a rock good tyres and stunningly good grey/black leather interior, only the outer edge of drivers seat showing any wear.

so question time. i asked over on the Grand Cherokee site but as yet have no response so I'm taking the punt that many XJers also have later models.

so here goes

do the ZJ,s of this age have the head cracking issues of the later XJ,s?

the owner thought it had a stuffed transfer case but said it would still drive but was noisy, so driving the couple of KMs home i felt the noise was more from the front and was worse under acceleration and when turning and the load being on the front RH wheel.

so i got under it and the front rh brake calliper seems to be loose when compared to the lhs, and then i saw that the diff end of the front drive shaft that the boot was split and there seemed to be excessive side to side play.

anyone want to comment if in there opinion that would be the problem.

for me the noise sounds for all the world like a front wheel drive car with shot CVs, this car though has had two new drive shafts fitted.

first job is to get a battery though as this one is dead.

ill be changing all fluids, but will first want to address the noise.

as this is an constant all wheel drive i don't have the option i guess to pull the front shaft.

thanks for reading and any input greatly appreciated

and yes i could search but I'm betting someone has all the info i need at there fingertips, and the sooner its fixed the soon I'm driving it

thanks again

macca

junglejuice 07-05-2018 04:42 PM

The 99 Zg will most likely not use the much maligned 0331 head, this is easily checked, the number is cast into the head midway along between the rocker cover and the intake manifold.
The Zg uses the 249 transfer case, this t/case uses a viscous coupling that is prone to failure which will give similar results to driving an Xj in part time 4wd.
The 249 can be replaced by a 242 for an improved vehicle.

HTH

emac 07-05-2018 06:58 PM

thanks JJ

i thought to eliminate the front drive shaft CV i would pump it full of grease and tape it up maybe that would absorb some wear, if any and allow me to decide it the problem is with the CV or the T case ( won't last long but i should quickly get an idea)

thanks

Ewen

Classic Boy 07-05-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emac (Post 1633307)
hi all, I've had an XJ limited for 20 years and so can comfortably say know i know 90's jeeps. ( the XJ is a 1994 with 4370000km)

macca

4 Million, 370 thousand Kays I would show FCA they might buy it from you.

emac 07-05-2018 09:15 PM

whoops to many zeros, how can you add anything in the way of help???

emac 08-05-2018 03:13 PM

ha ha , half whits the front rh calliper was loose, morons stripped the thread on the lower slide pin bolt, cleaned out the thread and found another bolt, and all good.

the guy i bought it off was having nightmares about rebuilt T cases, had no idea

i bought it on impulse, spent a couple of days cleaning and sanitising it and now it runs sweet.

except for an annoying squeak in the front lhs, I'm thinking either shock absorber or bush.

anyway, getting close to redgo time for it,