AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Cold Air Intake for JK 3.8Lt (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142771)

Cherokee30D 16-02-2016 06:14 AM

Cold Air Intake for JK 3.8Lt

Hi there, yes me again with another query.

Just wondering if anyone has fitted a cold air intake to their 3.8Lt JK?
If so, what are your findings re: power, economy etc.

I like the idea but need to know if it's worth spending the $.

Thanks in advance, Craig

sprdu 16-02-2016 06:17 AM

I've got an airaid which I bought second hand, and to be honest there is negligible difference to the stock air box. Only difference is a high frequency whine at certain speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeighP 16-02-2016 10:26 AM

Want cold air....I'd add a snorkel to the stock airbox. Water safe. :)

humdingerslammer 16-02-2016 11:29 AM

The Cold Air Intake thingy will not make a scrap of difference because over time the ECU will simply readjust its settings to any temperature change and airflow so as to stay within parameters set up prior. Save your money and have a holiday.

Cherokee30D 16-02-2016 12:32 PM

Looks like I might put the money towards a holiday as suggested......

Cheers, Craig

Banshee 16-02-2016 02:27 PM

Not a "cold air intake" as such, but I fitted an AEV snorkel to mine, when the gauges that read from the OBDII port said I had intake temps over 45C. I was also getting pinging any time I drove up a hill. And I live in the Mountains...

Tried different fuels, ECU programmer etc, no go. What finally fixed it for me was the snorkel. Rarely get any now, even on hot days & inlet temps have dropped to usually no more than 5C over ambient. (Higher when idling at lights as the air spends more time under the bonnet to heat up.)

No measurable change to economy or power (as measured by the 'butt dyno'), but that wasn't why I put it on. Also, I don't stress during water crossings. :D No difference measured by rotating the ram head backwards, (though this apparently does help on the CRDs), or from the Donaldson Topspin precleaner I have on it now. But the filter does last much longer between changes! :)

CanuckChubbs 16-02-2016 02:39 PM

I put a Banks CAI on my manual jk and love it. Much deeper/throaty sound, not sure about performance gains, but would do it again.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app