AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   S49 Recall is really BAD!! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146390)

GCBiz 04-11-2016 01:52 PM

S49 Recall is really BAD!!

Hi All,

I own a 2015 Grand Cherokee Laredo Diesel.

Seven weeks ago I had the S49 recall done during my 20k service.
The next day my thermo fans started going ballistic at weird times.
After a five minute drive home from work the fans would be going nuts, running at absolutely max power, and wouldn't stop until I turned off the vehicle. Each time it happens it sounds like the engine is going to blow.
Up until that point my truck had never skipped a beat.

I spent the next five weeks repeatedly taking it back to the service guys for them to run tests. Each time they insisted they had done absolutely nothing that could have caused the problem.

Two weeks ago they finally admitted that multiple owners have now come forward complaining of the same issue.

Apparently it turns out that some recalibration of the engines running temperatures was also included in the S49 update.

Now they're waiting on Jeep to supply a patch to fix the issue.
They have no idea when it will be.

So now after more than seven weeks I still have truck that's screwed up.
Not happy.

Apparently it's effecting many GC Diesel models, I don't believe the petrols are a problem.

In addition to the fans issue, now sometimes when you stop the car and go to get out the vehicle says the ignition is still on, and you have to turn it off and then on again. Unbelievable.

My advice, if you own a GC Diesel and haven't had the S49 done, don't let them do it, not until they can guarantee these issues have been sorted.

I'd be keen to hear if anyone else is having the same problems, and if you're any closer to a solution?

Cheers

Notso 04-11-2016 01:55 PM

I did have the fans run at full speed once after the update, but it hasn'r happened again. Here's hoping!

SnakeDoctor 04-11-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCBiz (Post 1595484)
Hi All,

I own a 2015 Grand Cherokee Laredo Diesel.

Seven weeks ago I had the S49 recall done during my 20k service.
The next day my thermo fans started going ballistic at weird times.
After a five minute drive home from work the fans would be going nuts, running at absolutely max power, and wouldn't stop until I turned off the vehicle. Each time it happens it sounds like the engine is going to blow.
Up until that point my truck had never skipped a beat.

I spent the next five weeks repeatedly taking it back to the service guys for them to run tests. Each time they insisted they had done absolutely nothing that could have caused the problem.

Two weeks ago they finally admitted that multiple owners have now come forward complaining of the same issue.

Apparently it turns out that some recalibration of the engines running temperatures was also included in the S49 update.

Now they're waiting on Jeep to supply a patch to fix the issue.
They have no idea when it will be.

So now after more than seven weeks I still have truck that's screwed up.
Not happy.

Apparently it's effecting many GC Diesel models, I don't believe the petrols are a problem.

In addition to the fans issue, now sometimes when you stop the car and go to get out the vehicle says the ignition is still on, and you have to turn it off and then on again. Unbelievable.

My advice, if you own a GC Diesel and haven't had the S49 done, don't let them do it, not until they can guarantee these issues have been sorted.

I'd be keen to hear if anyone else is having the same problems, and if you're any closer to a solution?

Cheers

Mate you haven't ever had a bad car if you think that the fans running flat out means your car is screwed up.

If that was the biggest issue I ever had with my Jeep i'd be super happy.

WK2Overland 04-11-2016 02:21 PM

Hi. My grand cherokee and mates at work has same issue. Chrysler Fiat has confirmed a high number of complaints and they are working on a new update to be completed dec 2016...

GCBiz 04-11-2016 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor (Post 1595487)
Mate you haven't ever had a bad car if you think that the fans running flat out means your car is screwed up.

If that was the biggest issue I ever had with my Jeep i'd be super happy.

Mate I wish I could say that's the worst thing that's ever happened.

This is my second WK2, I updated from the previous model.

With that truck I had an oil cooler fail, in the space if two minutes it sucked all the oil out of the engine into the cooling system and then pumped it out the overflow all over my driveway. I managed to switch it off just before it blew or seized.

Just before it did that the thermo fans were going absolutely ballistic, just like they're now doing on my current truck. But at least there was a reason.

So this current fans issues brings back some really bad memories for me, stresses me out every time they kick off.

GCBiz 04-11-2016 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WK2Overland (Post 1595489)
Hi. My grand cherokee and mates at work has same issue. Chrysler Fiat has confirmed a high number of complaints and they are working on a new update to be completed dec 2016...

Thanks for the heads up. Lets hope they can sort it in December.

mikey61 04-11-2016 04:34 PM

I have had the ignition thing happen a couple of times, thought it was just me. Car has to go back prior to Christmas for a service so will check with them then.
Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate it.