AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee (http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Aircon Clutch (http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153854)

Clarky 14-09-2018 06:59 PM

Aircon Clutch

My aircon has stopped working and I have traced it to the A/C clutch not engaging.

Fuses and relays appear good and using AutoEnginuity I did a temp draw down test where it overrides the controls and runs it flat out for a few minutes and the clutch failed to engage.
There was a P0645 Clutch Relay Control Circuit code but I may have triggered this when I pulled out the relay with the engine running. I will do another scan tomorrow to see if it returns.

I intend to power up the A/C clutch coil manually when I have a day off work just to confirm if its good or not.

So my question is can I change just the clutch and coil or will I be better off changing the whole compressor.

ren0vator 14-09-2018 08:49 PM

The clutch on our air-con compressors is replaceable
Trouble is getting all the tools in there to effect replacement
So while the air-con pumps on the bench ...
Why not replace the whole thing ?

If you're doing the job yourself, though
It might be well worth the time and sweat
Cause you'll save around $700

Clarky 21-09-2018 06:44 PM

Was able to get the clutch to engage by overriding the relay but still no cold air.
The system has an A/C pressure Transducer valve so I am thinking that there is little gas left in the system so it won't send the signal to engage the compressor.

Figured all this out after I changed the A/C clutch, took about 1 hours to swap the clutch over without removing the compressor.

Anyway I have booked it in to the local auto sparky/aircon guy to determine if I have any gas left.

robertodonnell 24-09-2018 05:39 PM

For what it's worth, this just popped into my inbox...

https://www.usautoparts.com.au/index...ing-compressor

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Clarky 16-10-2018 04:36 PM

Well the local guy topped up the gas and took $180 from me, the aircon worked for 2 days :)-(:
He is now on holidays in Tassie so :)-(: :)-(:

Took the Jeep to an Aircon/Radiator bloke in Bathurst who found my condenser was leaking, he couldn't understand how the first guy missed it so that's a lesson learned for me about the local auto sparky.

24 hours later (and another $900 lighter in the pocket) and its running like new :cool:

H2Micr0 19-10-2018 12:19 PM

Ouch!!!

fil 19-10-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky (Post 1641075)
Well the local guy topped up the gas and took $180 from me, the aircon worked for 2 days :)-(:

He is now on holidays in Tassie so :)-(: :)-(:

Took the Jeep to an Aircon/Radiator bloke in Bathurst who found my condenser was leaking, he couldn't understand how the first guy missed it so that's a lesson learned for me about the local auto sparky.

24 hours later (and another $900 lighter in the pocket) and its running like new :cool:

The transmission cooler is part of the condenser, and the power steering/hydraulic fan oil cooler is in front of it all. Make sure the fluid levels are ok after the condenser replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07commander 22-10-2018 06:33 PM

Ouch, im glad my cousin works for one of the large truck manufacturers, i didn't pay for for my regas for it to leak all right before my accident so all the dye was gone before i was mobile again. now summer is coming back looks like il have to pay him a visit to fill it with nitrogen so i can find my leak.