AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   KL Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   What to look for.? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152594)

MadKaw 11-04-2018 08:10 PM

What to look for.?

We just sold the KJ and the wife has her eyes on a 2015 KL limited V6. Going to look at one tomorrow, low k's, all the extras and good price. Has a few scratches from being a city car but can live with that for the price.
Is there anything we should look for.?

SJetc 13-04-2018 11:01 AM

I have a 2015 KL Limited but with the diesel engine. Only thing off the top of my head is that they have installed the current uConnect version on it - V17.09.07 - released February. Here's the TSB PDF link.

http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0801618.pdf

Also, you'll get its build info if you enter the VIN into this link: https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/e...SUtZOTl2Wm0%3D

MadKaw 13-04-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJetc (Post 1632117)
I have a 2015 KL Limited but with the diesel engine. Only thing off the top of my head is that they have installed the current uConnect version on it - V17.09.07 - released February. Here's the TSB PDF link.

http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0801618.pdf

Also, you'll get its build info if you enter the VIN into this link: https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/e...SUtZOTl2Wm0%3D

Thanks for the reply.
Good to hear there's not too many issues to look for as we bought it.. :-)
The uConnect will be outdated as it hasn't been to the dealer since Dec. The uconnect site says its up to date but I read this latest update is through the dealer atm.? Can it be updated by user.?

Checked the build info and it all checks out, this one came with all the fruit, tech pak, electronic pak, comfort pak, sunroof etc, the guy even got the Permagard paint protection. :-)
Happy with it so far...

SJetc 13-04-2018 05:46 PM

Excellent Dave - congrats on the purchase.

We used to be able to update uConnect via the driveuconnect website - I have done it a lot of times for the KL and our WK2 over the last few years, but in the last few months the site has been changed with that stupid message being issued about being up to date, when we know that that is incorrect.

It appears that they have removed the ability of it to be upgraded by the user. Not sure why though. I'll get mine upgraded when I take her in for her 50,000 service in 4 weeks. Very annoying giving we've been able to do it ourselves in the past.

My Limited also is fully loaded - tech pack, comfort pack, electronic pack, sunroof etc. It's getting on now for 3 1/2 years old - still love it. Wish someone would wash it though. True Blue - shit of a colour to keep schmick.

SJetc 13-04-2018 06:07 PM

I've just remembered something regards the latest uConnect upgrade. If it is important to you (it may not be), then you will need that version to be able to change States ie: QLD to NSW for example via the touchscreen on Nav.

You can change States via Voice Recognition within Nav without the latest update ie: using voice - "Navigate to 123 Smith Street Brisbane, Queensland" (you must always say the State with VR to have it recognise the address), but if you want to be able to use your fingers on the touch-screen rather than voice, then that bug is fixed in the latest upgrade of V17.09.07.

MadKaw 16-04-2018 09:03 AM

Thanks for that. Its not due for a service for a while but will see if the dealer will update and check all the software in the meantime.

Another question for anyone, how long did you get out of the orig tyres.? Mine has 40,000 on it and the tyres are stuffed, thought that was a little lite. Just put on some 235 60 18 Kumhos..

SJetc 16-04-2018 05:03 PM

Original tyres I swapped out early at about the 21,000 mark for Geolandar AT G012 so not much help for you I'm sorry.

OPM 18-04-2018 02:59 PM

I also own the diesel. Coming up to 3 years and 55,000km. No problems and a great car -- very glad I purchased.

I swapped out the original tyres at 1000km (also to Geolander AT GO12), but that's because I also swapped out the original rims for a set of Trailhawk rims at the same time. The GO12s have been a great tyre and still have plenty of tread remaining, although it's a little uneven as I've been lax with wheel alignments.

If the chips on your rims are too much to bear, I still have the set of original rims sitting in my garage and willing to sell for a reasonable price. Virtually brand new... :D

MadKaw 26-04-2018 04:39 PM

Dealer said there is no update for our uconnect.
We have 14.29.9 which I believe is the original for the my15.
Uconnect site also says its up to date, any ideas why or where to get the update.?

SJetc 26-04-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadKaw (Post 1632751)
Dealer said there is no update for our uconnect.
We have 14.29.9 which I believe is the original for the my15.
Uconnect site also says its up to date, any ideas why or where to get the update.?

Dealer is full of shite. Another dealer?

Maybe contact Dave (Seacomms) - I think he might have a copy on USB. Here's his thread - scroll through to his March this year post.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=144895

MadKaw 27-04-2018 10:20 AM

Thanks,
I found a file relating to the TSB for 17.09.01 called UCONNECT_8.4A_RJ3_17.09.01_MY15_ROW.zip

Says its for RJ3 RJ4 and RG3 and RG4 radios. I checked my build sheet and I'm not sure, but is says VP4 radio..?

Any ideas if this is the right one.?

SJetc 27-04-2018 10:51 AM

You have a RJ4 radio.

SJetc 27-04-2018 10:57 AM

Did you get that from Sox's site? I'm just downloading it now to have a look.

ETA: I'm currently on V16.16.13

MadKaw 28-04-2018 01:07 PM

Yep, thats the one. Haven't installed it yet as I'm in discussions with the dealer.

I had a call from the dealer yesterday asking how the service went, big mistake.
To cut a long story short we sent them the TSB for the latest uconnect update. There reply was that this update was only for the US market and there is no update for mine and this was confirmed by there service manager.

My response was a little blunt, but I suggested they should actually read the TSB, in particular the part that stated it was for APAC vehicles and was
NOT for US vehicles...

They also said we had an outstanding recall that needed top be done, which was the only reason we took it to them in the first place, and it had already been done.!

No reply.....

Waste of a day taking it to them.!

They also listed the vehicle on the works receipt as KJ 3.7...

I need to find a better dealer...

SJetc 28-04-2018 06:37 PM

Which dealer Dave? (if you don't me asking? - PM me if you don't want to post on the thread)

MadKaw 02-05-2018 08:17 AM

They e-mailed us back and are now looking into it with Jeep.. :-)

I think when you deal with these "multi franchise dealers in the Nepean area" its difficult to find anyone who knows about Jeep issues.

SJetc, did you try that software update..?

SJetc 09-05-2018 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadKaw (Post 1633004)
They e-mailed us back and are now looking into it with Jeep.. :-)

I think when you deal with these "multi franchise dealers in the Nepean area" its difficult to find anyone who knows about Jeep issues.

SJetc, did you try that software update..?

No, I didn't because she was due for her 36 month service which was done today and they upgraded uConnect to V17.43.01. :D

MadKaw 09-05-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJetc (Post 1633443)
No, I didn't because she was due for her 36 month service which was done today and they upgraded uConnect to V17.43.01. :D

Lucky you. :-)
Where did you get that done at.?

SJetc 09-05-2018 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadKaw (Post 1633453)
Lucky you. :-)
Where did you get that done at.?

Macarthur Jeep. They have been servicing ours now for a few years. The 2005 WH and in more recent years the 2014 WK2 and the 2015 KL (both of which were also purchased from them). Over the years, they've been great to deal with. Completely open to whatever TSBs I walk in with (which is usually uConnect ones). :)

MadKaw 10-05-2018 04:34 PM

Might have to make the trip.
Do you know where they get the file from.?

SJetc 10-05-2018 04:39 PM

The FCA/Dealer system I'm presuming. I actually walked in there with the V17.09.07 TSB because that's the latest one I had found for the 2015.

They went the latest that was showing against their system which is fine by me. I had seen the V17.43.01 TSB but it had been marked as just for the 2016s which is why I didn't print that one out.

ETA: I just had a quick look again at the WK2Jeeps site and V17.43.01 has been released for the MY14 as well.

crash486 13-05-2018 10:47 AM

Newbie after purchase advice

Hi people. Had a good read of the forum so far. Hoping to purchase a Jeep Cherokee Limited MY15 and have a few questions hoping someone can help with.

I have the VIN (so read the build sheet) and the build date 06/15. Is there anyway I can
1) Check for outstanding recalls / fixes? Airbag, towbar etc
2) Check latest release of software, gearbox and media system ?
3) Verify the gearbox doesn't have the snap ring, 3-2-1 changing issue?
and finally
4) Any tips to negotiate a good price? The vehicle I'm looking at is a well optioned diesel with 60k kms.

Thanks in advance

SJetc 13-05-2018 11:14 AM

Hi Crash

For recalls, what has been completed and what is outstanding go here and enter the VIN: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html

The KL has Autoliv airbags, not Takata so no worries there. It is also not affected by the recent WK2 towbar recall.

For latest uConnect software, go settings--> system information.

Because of its build date (after May 2015), the gearbox should be fine. It was primarily the 2014s that were affected. Take it for a good test drive. You should immediately pick up on whether it has a changing issue or not.

crash486 13-05-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJetc (Post 1633634)
Hi Crash

For recalls, what has been completed and what is outstanding go here and enter the VIN: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html

The KL has Autoliv airbags, not Takata so no worries there. It is also not affected by the recent WK2 towbar recall.

For latest uConnect software, go settings--> system information.

Because of its build date (after May 2015), the gearbox should be fine. It was primarily the 2014s that were affected. Take it for a good test drive. You should immediately pick up on whether it has a changing issue or not.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can move from my 8 yr old agricultural vehicle to something from the 21st century.

SJetc 13-05-2018 11:46 AM

Sounds like a plan. :) There was a flash to the box of the diesel a long while ago - I had it done a few years ago, so I'll dig through my stuff and see if I can find it for you, but that's the only tranny TSB I've had done. I didn't have an issue prior to it though and didn't notice any difference afterwards either but I'll dig it out for you just in case.

smeltitdeltit 22-07-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJetc (Post 1633634)

Howdy, looking at buying a second hand KL.
Is there a way of knowing or finding out if a Pre May '15 KL will suffer from the issue?

SJetc 23-07-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeltitdeltit (Post 1637135)
Howdy, looking at buying a second hand KL.
Is there a way of knowing or finding out if a Pre May '15 KL will suffer from the issue?

Will suffer or does suffer? No way of knowing what the future holds but taking it for a good test drive - any chance of a 24 hour test?

If I had the choice between an MY15 and MY14 though, I'd take the MY15.

smeltitdeltit 23-07-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJetc (Post 1637176)
Will suffer or does suffer? No way of knowing what the future holds but taking it for a good test drive - any chance of a 24 hour test?

If I had the choice between an MY15 and MY14 though, I'd take the MY15.

Ahh thanks. I thought the problem was one that was supposed to have been rectified in a recall or service.
I honestly only heard of the issue yesterday reading this forum, so am not completely over what the problem is.
I’m only looking at MY15 or younger, and trying to get one post March 15 as you suggested, or ate all My 15s ok in that regard?

crash486 23-07-2018 09:27 PM

This may help...
https://jeepcherokeeclub.com/402-tra.../topics/225713

Crash486 - Cherokee Limited 2015 Diesel