AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   NEW......T36 Alternator Recall (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149943)

Sterling Sal 12-09-2017 09:27 PM

NEW......T36 Alternator Recall

Hi Guys,

Bugger, another recall. This time the alternator on 2012-2014 WK Grand Cherokee.

Check your VIN on the list

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/rec...grand-cherokee

Seems to be the JFFG series.

We are JFFM, can't see ours on the list luckily, but will double check with the dealer.

Cheers,
Sally

Starion VR4 13-09-2017 04:49 AM

Thank for the info Sal... Mine is a JFFM like your to, thank god. Are you happy with the updated S49 recall? I have had the 2nd update & fuel Economy still not as good as before ANY update.

Benn0 13-09-2017 08:53 AM

I believe the recall is just for the petrol models.

Sterling Sal 13-09-2017 09:42 AM

Hi Derek,

Yes, glad we are not on there!

Could just be petrol models, thanks Benn.

Yes, no worries at all after the S49 recall, no noticeable changes to fuel econ.

Cheers,
Sally

CamAE 11-10-2017 05:14 PM

Anyone else received the letter? It sounds quite scary and you would think they would down play it. Also how do they not have parts yet!?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...dad5274b65.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

imaz 11-10-2017 05:25 PM

Anyone know what kind of alternator will they replace it with?

I have a 2012 and don't have the variable voltage alternators you have in the later years.

I'd much prefer to have one of the same one as I have today.

Taprod 14-10-2017 07:58 PM

Yep, I got the letter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffomarinus 15-10-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taprod (Post 1621748)
Yep, I got the letter

What year and engine type do you have that is subject to this recall?

Taprod 15-10-2017 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffomarinus (Post 1621773)
What year and engine type do you have that is subject to this recall?

It’s an MY14 3.6L 4x4

Buffomarinus 15-10-2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taprod (Post 1621777)
It’s an MY14 3.6L 4x4

No worries, thanks for that. It's interesting that the diesels don't seem to have been recalled yet.

yoda42 15-10-2017 07:16 PM

I had this exact failure on our 2011 diesel, cost us $2500 for the new alternator [emoji35]

clarky50 24-10-2017 11:56 AM

Hi all I have a 2012 GC Limited Diesel and guess what, I had a total alternator failure yesterday, all symptoms the same as the recall for the petrol models, lost all electrics and power steering, luckily was on an off ramp near my work. Jeep Customer Care advised that they may be recalling them in the USA and to keep receipts and a log of events. Getting it repaired at a 4x4 place next door to work. Battery also died and the mechanic advised that the fuses on the top of the battery were melted so something happened,the first sign of trouble was the battery light coming on for a few Ks then went off and then after about half an hour came back on and all the electrics started to shut down one by one.

imaz 24-10-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarky50 (Post 1622249)
Hi all I have a 2012 GC Limited Diesel and guess what, I had a total alternator failure yesterday, all symptoms the same as the recall for the petrol models, lost all electrics and power steering, luckily was on an off ramp near my work. Jeep Customer Care advised that they may be recalling them in the USA and to keep receipts and a log of events. Getting it repaired at a 4x4 place next door to work. Battery also died and the mechanic advised that the fuses on the top of the battery were melted so something happened,the first sign of trouble was the battery light coming on for a few Ks then went off and then after about half an hour came back on and all the electrics started to shut down one by one.

What fuses did you have ontop of the battery?

silverfox1111 24-10-2017 02:47 PM

There were no fuses on top of my 2012 diesel.
Silverfox

clarky50 24-10-2017 07:43 PM

Will have to check when I get it back tomorrow, I may have misheard him or he was talking crap.

yoda42 26-10-2017 06:28 PM

This is what happens inside the alternator, this was our 2011 diesel last year https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1a6d0097f9.jpg

imaz 26-10-2017 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoda42 (Post 1622419)
This is what happens inside the alternator, this was our 2011 diesel last year https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1a6d0097f9.jpg

So basically you couldnt tell if it was on the way out unless its apart like that.

Seems like a common replacement for that age and many have changed it at own will.

Is it really a fault as Jeep discribed? PS fluid spill onto the diodes??

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

clarky50 26-10-2017 08:01 PM

Well Jeep is going again, $1237 later, but receipts kept, the main thing I was/am concerned about is what happens to the poor person that has this failure on the highway at 110kph , it is quite a feat to move these things with no power and no power steering, also no indicators or anything else electric, could be a very bad accident waiting to happen with this fault/ issue. Will be interesting to see how many more diesels are effected.
Also I would expect to get more than 78000 ks out of it before it failed. And no there were no fuses on the battery, dont know what he was on about.

thanwintun 26-10-2017 08:15 PM

I had this nightmare 3 days ago.
My diesel 13 made 14 GC had smoke came out from alternator. I stopped engine and smoke keep coming even after engine turned off. Was scared and tried to disconnect battery cable. But couldnt find a spanner. it took about 5 minutes until battery totally die off. Called tow car and got towed to my house. My plan was to change alt myself. But when i was at home did some research and found this recall. But my Vin is not on the list. Next day i called dealer and they refuse to take responsiblity as it is not on the list. warranty is out aswell. then i called Jeep and explained the story. they are happy to fix it and asked me to book in a dealer. it is all sorted and ready to pick up tomorrow.
The main info i want to give is it is worth it to fit a battery disconnect switch. it is scary to watch alternator is dead short and highest possible current flowing through cable until battery die off. But dealer said no wirings are burnt except a terminal. Another info is it is still possible to happen even your vin is not on the list. If it happens dealer is still liable. otherwisw it will be costly

Sent from my SM-G935F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

CamAE 26-10-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clarky50 (Post 1622426)
Well Jeep is going again, $1237 later, but receipts kept, the main thing I was/am concerned about is what happens to the poor person that has this failure on the highway at 110kph , it is quite a feat to move these things with no power and no power steering, also no indicators or anything else electric, could be a very bad accident waiting to happen with this fault/ issue.

This is what I'm worried about too. Whos liable if the whole car burns down or causes a serious accident?

Still no call or letter from FCA that the replacement parts are available yet! Those of you unfortunate enough to be affect, are they just replacing like-for-like? No fix to stop it happening again?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

imaz 26-10-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thanwintun (Post 1622427)
I had this nightmare 3 days ago.
My diesel 13 made 14 GC had smoke came out from alternator. I stopped engine and smoke keep coming even after engine turned off. Was scared and tried to disconnect battery cable. But couldnt find a spanner. it took about 5 minutes until battery totally die off. Called tow car and got towed to my house. My plan was to change alt myself. But when i was at home did some research and found this recall. But my Vin is not on the list. Next day i called dealer and they refuse to take responsiblity as it is not on the list. warranty is out aswell. then i called Jeep and explained the story. they are happy to fix it and asked me to book in a dealer. it is all sorted and ready to pick up tomorrow.
The main info i want to give is it is worth it to fit a battery disconnect switch. it is scary to watch alternator is dead short and highest possible current flowing through cable until battery die off. But dealer said no wirings are burnt except a terminal. Another info is it is still possible to happen even your vin is not on the list. If it happens dealer is still liable. otherwisw it will be costly

Sent from my SM-G935F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

Scary and seems so common.

What happens to those with dual batteries? Would it cripple both batteries? Would FCA cover batteries?

Barboots 27-10-2017 12:42 AM

Mate they'd probably blame the whole meltdown on your installation. [emoji48]

Seriously... you installed fuses, so no additional trouble.

Cheers, Steve

08crd 27-10-2017 01:01 AM

What make of alternator is it, that is causing the problem?

SJetc 27-10-2017 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08crd (Post 1622445)
What make of alternator is it, that is causing the problem?

Per the US recall notice, it is Denso.

Supplier Identification :
Component Manufacturer
Name : DENSO International America, Inc.
Address : 24777 Denso Drive
Southfield MICHIGAN 48033

Benn0 27-10-2017 10:40 AM

It gets more complicated, an owner on the GC owners facebook page talked to the US about the recall, apparently they are "waiting on parts" for this recall, but currently they still haven't identified the actual cause of the problem. It is thought that the electrohydraulic power steering system is causing the problem, but a solution hasn't been found yet, so for now they are replacing failed alternators with the same unit.

I think any solution is going to involve a software update to provide warning of failure.

imaz 27-10-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benn0 (Post 1622469)
It gets more complicated, an owner on the GC owners facebook page talked to the US about the recall, apparently they are "waiting on parts" for this recall, but currently they still haven't identified the actual cause of the problem. It is thought that the electrohydraulic power steering system is causing the problem, but a solution hasn't been found yet, so for now they are replacing failed alternators with the same unit.

I think any solution is going to involve a software update to provide warning of failure.

Haha, you are following that FB closely as well...

Troutman 27-10-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benn0 (Post 1622469)
....... apparently they are "waiting on parts" for this recall, but currently they still haven't identified the actual cause of the problem.

Kind of makes it hard to fathom what parts you need but can't get if you don't know what the problem is.

yoda42 28-10-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaz (Post 1622423)
So basically you couldnt tell if it was on the way out unless its apart like that.

Seems like a common replacement for that age and many have changed it at own will.

Is it really a fault as Jeep discribed? PS fluid spill onto the diodes??

An alternator blowing a diode at under 100,000km, no that is not a common problem and is not acceptable, especially when I could have the replacement landed from the USA for under $700 A$, but to buy in Aus is $2500

Benn0 29-10-2017 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 1622479)
Kind of makes it hard to fathom what parts you need but can't get if you don't know what the problem is.

It's just a canned statement when they are acknowledging the problem exists but they don't have a fix. The same happened with the shifter recall.

richthornton 05-11-2017 06:18 PM

This is just what I need - brand new battery yesterday but to no avail. GC completely died this afternoon (2012 CRD Laredo) so it seems this Alternator problem is growing ! Will be contacting Jeep Aust tomorrow morning to see what they say! There is obviously a big problem that is not being acknowledged.

clarky50 05-11-2017 06:43 PM

Keep us posted on what they tell you as I am interested in that to see if they say the same to you as they did to me, ie not part of the recall but keep receipts in case they include CRDs.

08crd 05-11-2017 11:03 PM

One would think, if the alternator is faulty and is supplied by a third party, Jeep will just get them to sort it.

rufus94 01-01-2018 07:49 AM

Alternator cooked

Just found this thread, very useful thanks.

Yesterday after low range 4wding my alternator completely cooked. So much smoke we were sure it was about to catch fire. Emptied the car and cleared the area.

After disconnecting the battery and letting everything cool down we disconnected the alternator so we could get it off the beach. Now stuck up the coast.

Will get in touch with Jeep to try to get it fixed.

I never received a recall notice on this and am pretty pissed off to be honest.

Classic Boy 01-01-2018 09:54 AM

No surprises that FCA didn't do the right thing,
that in my experience is their modus operandi

Surnturf 11-01-2018 04:16 PM

I just had my 2013 WK2 Diesel Overland die as I pulled into the driveway at home. Started flashing low voltage on the guages then the A/C fan dropped to half speed then all types of warning alerts started flashing on the dash.
Rang jeep Dealer in Adelaide as its just out of warranty, they are saying get it to them (RAA Tow Truck as I am a member) and he said they have fixed about 10 of these last year with the same issue
They will then put an out of warranty claim in and see what happens, he said all 10 of them that they have previously done have been out of warranty fixes so hopefully it works out.
Service Manager said they will just replace the same part and when the recall parts come in which are due in April /May then they will change it over to the recall parts.
Fingers Crossed it all goes to Plan.........

timsarg 11-01-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufus94 (Post 1626847)
Just found this thread, very useful thanks.

Yesterday after low range 4wding my alternator completely cooked. So much smoke we were sure it was about to catch fire. Emptied the car and cleared the area.

After disconnecting the battery and letting everything cool down we disconnected the alternator so we could get it off the beach. Now stuck up the coast.

Will get in touch with Jeep to try to get it fixed.

I never received a recall notice on this and am pretty pissed off to be honest.

pentastar or diesel ?

imaz 15-01-2018 10:13 PM

Happened to me last friday evening, was able to drive her home. Gave jeep customer care a call and they now arranging a tow to the dealer, fit an aftermarket alternator temporarily while the proper recall alternater fixed version is being designed. Mines part of the recall.

Benn0 18-01-2018 08:22 AM

Ashton Wood posted this on facebook a couple months ago:

Had alternator problems? I’ve been in contact with the CEO of FCA Australia regarding the Alternator recall (T36) which applies to the 2011-2014 (LX) Chrysler 300 and the 2012-2014 (WK) Jeep Grand Cherokee.
He has confirmed that they WILL REFUND anyone who can provide receipts for alternator replacements for these vehicles…. Even if you had the work carried out by an INDEPENDENT REPAIRER! This is great news for Jeep and Chrysler owners.
The current recall only covers PETROL vehicles and I know a lot of you are having issues with the alternators in your diesel vehicles too, if you’ve had problems with the alternator in your diesel vehicle, my recommendation is to hang onto your receipts in the event that a recall notice comes out for these as well.

He also has a complaints portal, it would be good for everyone who has an alternator failure not covered by the recall to lodge one so that the ACCC and FCA can see the scale of the issue.

https://complaints.ashtonwood.com.au/

Troutman 18-01-2018 08:35 AM

It's all a bit weird though that FCA don't actually have a fix for this. The recall is for 2012-2014 models, so what have they done to 2015 and newer models that they don't require a recall?

Benn0 18-01-2018 08:49 AM

The cause is "due to cyclical loads induced by the electro-hydraulic power steering", 2015 went to full electric.