AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Help! CRD Wrangler wont start. (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147533)

I'mJeepedAs 09-02-2017 10:49 AM

Help! CRD Wrangler wont start.

I took the car out 4x4ing in some mud and water for about 30 minutes and then afterwards i drove down the road for about half a kilometere and the engine just cut off. All electrics where still working after the motor shut off. I tried to crank the car and nothing. Ive checked the battery and its still good. When you turn the key it just clicks maybe the starter motor isnt doing its job? The car is a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited CRD 6 speed manual. Im going to rip out the starter motor and have a look. I noticed there was quite abit of dirty water in the bellhousing case where the flywheel is that cant be any good either....

NicJKU 09-02-2017 10:59 AM

Was there any chance you got water in the intake? I'd be checking for milky oil before pulling anything apart.

I'mJeepedAs 09-02-2017 12:43 PM

I just checked the intake and theres no mud in there or signs of water entering. I guess i would have to drain the sump to really know. I dont understand how the car went from driving to just turning off all of a sudden. There was no shudder or anything like the car was stalling it just turned off and wouldnt start again.

rjl3175 09-02-2017 03:30 PM

Your battery is most likely cause. These batteries die without warning, one minute they work fine then knackered. You won't even get the car to jump start. Mine went recently, still showed 12.7 volts unloaded but turn the key and it dropped to 9 volts. Check this first as the starter is very expensive.

mike_nofx 09-02-2017 07:11 PM

The starter motor won't cause your engine to just shut off while driving.

My guess would be the alternator is not charging, so your voltage just kept dropping until there was not enough to keep the engine going, hence why the clicking when trying to restart.

You could check this by charging the battery then starting the engine, then check voltage with a multimeter to see if it's charging.

I'mJeepedAs 10-02-2017 06:04 AM

Yeah ill charge up the battery tonight after work and see if it starts tomorrow morning. The batterys voltage was 12.39 i was thinking that should be enough to crank it over but maybe not.

RLT 10-02-2017 06:19 AM

How old is the battery ?
Is it the original.
As already stated they can just die.
Start OK in the morning dead in the afternoon

My Optima lasted 7 years before having issues.
Started with the alarm going off randomly.
Got the capacity checked out at a tyre shop & was deemed un-serviceable at around +60% think it was.
Dont think these spiral cell batteries can be reconditioned like plate batteries either.

You can charge it all you like but if there is low capacity left on the battery it will be of little use.