AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Headliner replacement (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150947)

Luminol 22-12-2017 11:35 PM

Headliner replacement

Hi Guys,

So I’ve taken my headliner out because it’s making the car all musty smelling (Moyle, don’t want to breath that in) and was hoping to upholster it.

Upon inspection it’s got a lot of black on it which I assume is mould and not sure if I’ll ever get t out. Sadly it’s the floppy fibre glass headliner of the ml2 not the nice and easy to repair mk2 where ou get of the foam and refit.

Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone made there own using a sheet of 1.5mm plastic and upholstered that or something?
Thanks

layback40 23-12-2017 05:17 AM

Have never heard of the type of liner you have. Dont know if they made it to Australia.

awg 23-12-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminol (Post 1625762)
Hi Guys,
Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone made there own using a sheet of 1.5mm plastic and upholstered that or something?
Thanks

I have done quite a few headliners...on my Jeep, I swapped in a good one from a wreck, as my "biscuit" was in poor condition as well as fabric drooped

On other vehicles, where that has not been an option, there is (at least) 3 possible approaches

1) make the biscuit stable & smooth, with filler, fibreglass, or adhering some smoothing material (like linen) etc etc, the reupholster

2) glue foam direct to metal, and upholster that

3) get a quote, pay someone

amlav 23-12-2017 06:20 PM

I've repaired mine . It is quite easy ...just go on Youtube .
It had the thin fiber glass base . You will have to clean it by scraping or a wire brush with a drill removing all foam residue than can be further cleaned up with solvent until clean . Once cleaned the new liner is glued back with spray on addesive .

Luminol 23-12-2017 07:47 PM

Thanks guys but mine isn’t the hard fibreglass biscuit type but more a soft insulation material! Like rock wool but holds it shape better! That’s what has got mouldy,

I could do the foam directly to the ceiling but what if I need to make repairs or if I develop a hole and get rust erc, will be very difficult to sort. I will try and post a few pics to show you the headliner I have.

Luminol 23-12-2017 08:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
these are the pics, see how floppy it is. would adding some resin make this a hard top? Might just end up a crap mess most likely

awg 23-12-2017 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminol (Post 1625817)
these are the pics, see how floppy it is. would adding some resin make this a hard top? Might just end up a crap mess most likely

that looks the same as mine, yours looks pretty buggered, same as my original, hence swapping the entire biscuit and headlining from another vehicle (a '95 which must have be relined at some recent time)

best part of a hard days labor, taking 2 out and installing one

I couldnt think of a way to make my shitty broken item acceptable in a quicker time