AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Jeeping again (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159147)

Billnick 22-03-2021 10:48 AM

Jeeping again

Morning all.
I did have a 98 XJ a number of years back which I initially loved but after wrestling with big tyres, elockers, failing auto, leaking oil, water in the electrics etc etc I sold it and bought a useless 2004. Canned that and as I'm getting on a bit ( 76 ) I bought a XR6. All the while my son has a 2000 XJ which I envied.

Present day, I just got me a '98 ZJ to keep me out of mischief. It doesn't have a motor fitted but a motor from the wreckers came with the deal. Never wanting to take a
motor out again I shipped it off to the reconditioners for a set of oil seals and head job before I put it back in.

Question though, the oil cooler pipes from the auto are on a different side to the XJ auto and they look as though they run very close to the block under the manifolds. Are they attached to the block with clips or something?

Cheers
Bill

Billnick 22-03-2021 03:40 PM

It's Ok, I figured it out. I remember now, had a problem of the pipes rubbing almost through on the XJ block but I fixed it by replacing the metal pipe with rubber tubing when I fitted the external oil cooler. Might do the same thing here.

Grippy 22-03-2021 05:15 PM

Sounds like a fun project.
We need pics of this rig to keep us all happy mate.

Billnick 24-03-2021 09:55 AM

Pics? what are they. I need to get my daughter onto that but not at the moment. Not until I do the roof lining and polish the dull paint.

I hooked up a battery to see what worked and found it had done only 240k km. I was hoping it wasn't going to be over 300, the previous owner didn't know and he forgot to ask the fellow he bought it off. Apart from the roof lining the interior looks pristine with no worn fabric on the seats or steering wheel.

There was a leak above the windscreen and I found the top rubber was as hard as a brick so I prised it out and filled the void with black RTV. Looks ...awful. I'll see if I can use the top piece of the old rubber and stick it over the top.

PS Looks like she has a 2" lift. Its got blue coils all round. Can't measure it until the motor is in.

Bill

Billnick 07-04-2021 06:07 PM

Still waiting on the motor to come back. Almost a month since I gave it to the recon people.

Sent the gas struts off to be re-gassed 2 weeks ago, they haven't come back either. I want the struts to be in before I get the roof lining replaced to give the guy a free go.

The rest of the car is very tidy. Scored a full set of ratchet spanners and a screwdriver set that I found under the back seat.

Question: on the far right hand side of the dash is a push button with a headlight symbol and rays coming out of it. Can somebody tell me what it is please?

Fishframe 07-04-2021 08:34 PM

Sounds like fog lamps or a spotlight switch?

Billnick 08-04-2021 09:53 AM

You would have thought wouldn't you, but I can't find any wiring under the bonnet that looks like spotty wiring. There are mounting brackets on the bullbar where lights have been but no wires. Keep looking I suppose.