AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ 2.5 TD VM engine (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139556)

Harlyboy 02-06-2015 04:55 AM

2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ 2.5 TD VM engine

I obtained a 2nd Jeep a month ago. A starter and battery was missing and just last week got a starter.. Did go through the time consuming effort to put starter back.. Bought a new battery and hooked it up... Turn the key and lights come on but no life to starter... Checked wiring and saw there was some butchery done on some wires... Ok, will sort that out at a good time. Connected a wire to operate the starter. Engine turns good..No funny noises. Checked power to glow plugs and all good. Checked solenoid at diesel pump..Also good. Right..Tried to start, but it doesnot. Diesel.. Checked diesel to pump and bled it..All good.. Still no start. Then i checked if diesel goes to the injectors..NO diesel to injectors... This is where i am stuck at this stage. I connected a electric fuel pump(for diesel) also and kept it running..But still no diesel at injectors. What i noticed is that the Injector with the cable is in at no 2 piston. After some reading and studying of the manuals all of them stated that it should be at no 1 piston.. Please help me here just to make sure. Also the ignition display shows all is normal for start. Enough diesel in tank, immobiliser is off.. I believe the next thing is to check timing on the pump. TDC for no 1 and check if pump is at No 1 .

layback40 02-06-2015 09:12 AM

Swap injectors so sensor is on #1.
Your location would be useful so we can make climate related suggestions.
I am having trouble starting my 98 at the moment & have my other one in pieces.
How warm is it where you are ~ Tassie or Qld?
Does it try & start or does it just crank with no fire at all?
How long since it last ran?

Just saw your other post.
If you can, try tow starting it behind another car with a rope. It should get going at about 20km/hr in second gear.

vernicious 02-06-2015 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by layback40 (Post 1534004)
If you can, try tow starting it behind another car with a rope. It should get going at about 20km/hr in second gear.

I have done this and it helps to have it in 4wd. For some reason, when you leave it in 2wd the back tires like to skip across the ground till you get the engine turning.

layback40 02-06-2015 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vernicious (Post 1534060)
I have done this and it helps to have it in 4wd. For some reason, when you leave it in 2wd the back tires like to skip across the ground till you get the engine turning.

You must be letting the clutch out too quick. If you have been trying to start it for a long time you may have flooded it with diesel.

cheezel 02-06-2015 10:12 PM

When I bought mine I took T local mech to get rwc. No idea what they did to it but I towed it him with a flat batt and issue of crank but no fire. I replaced the aftermarket fuel filter assy with a racor branded one (see diesel parts thread) and new filter. I then plunged/primed the sh1t out of it. Felt like there was resistance/blockage (?) which dissapated. At the time I put it down to air lock/block. After that she fired and I kept revs up for a minute or 4 and all was happy. LB posted at the time about rubber oring in fuel filter plunger going brittle over time potentially introducing air into fuel line and others have reported issue since. I'd chk that? Regarding no fuel issue, the IP is the only pump involved - no fuel pump in tank so (I'm guessing here) it will need to be primed else wont suck (cavitate). Just my thoughts, but I'm certainly no mech so take anything with a grain of salt :)

Harlyboy 03-06-2015 01:43 AM

Thanks everyone. I will change the Injectors to be at the right place. Then also check the diesel pump timing to make sure that is correct. Then i will check the diesel fuel delivery. Hopefully that will sort out the problems... Tomorrow i first have to get the right socket to take the injectors out. Will keep the updates cominghttp://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...dcf29bad53.jpg

sfedek 03-06-2015 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheezel (Post 1534118)
When I bought mine I took T local mech to get rwc. No idea what they did to it but I towed it him with a flat batt and issue of crank but no fire. I replaced the aftermarket fuel filter assy with a racor branded one (see diesel parts thread) and new filter. I then plunged/primed the sh1t out of it. Felt like there was resistance/blockage (?) which dissapated. At the time I put it down to air lock/block. After that she fired and I kept revs up for a minute or 4 and all was happy. LB posted at the time about rubber oring in fuel filter plunger going brittle over time potentially introducing air into fuel line and others have reported issue since. I'd chk that? Regarding no fuel issue, the IP is the only pump involved - no fuel pump in tank so (I'm guessing here) it will need to be primed else wont suck (cavitate). Just my thoughts, but I'm certainly no mech so take anything with a grain of salt :)

Your pickup will be blocked mate. You will need to drop the tank & clean all the pieces of gunk.
Eddy