AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Steering Box Bolts Sheared Off!!! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107124)

Siggers 08-03-2012 11:02 AM

Mine was down as a repair in 97, but she said I should go to the local as soon as I could if i thought there was a problem...

Bennyjeepster 02-08-2012 09:27 AM

Second hand XJ

Hi guys, will jeep still have a look at it even if you've bought the vehicle second hand?

Hamsteh 03-08-2012 12:41 AM

Hey mate, they will at the very least tell you if the repairs have been made to your vehicle.

Bennyjeepster 03-08-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamsteh (Post 1305135)
Hey mate, they will at the very least tell you if the repairs have been made to your vehicle.

Cheers bud!

Roler 29-10-2012 11:51 AM

Guys, help me out here if you can.
I just chased this issue of the steeringbox bolts/chassis cracks recall on my Jeep, a 97 Cherokee (November). Called the dealer, guy in charge of recalls ran my VIN and said there were NO recalls on my vehicle. He stated two others(recalls) were issued in the past, but for my vehicle the recall #723 (that was quoted here) did not come up.
He wasnt able to explain why, just kept repeating no recall regarding this issue.

I tried to explain the issue, also what had been said by customer service of Jeep Australia (see one of the first posts in this thread), but he wouldnt say more than "no recall on your vehicle's VIN". Also that nothing has been listed or done regarding this to my vehicle in the past.

Where to go from here now? Could it be that some do have to be recalled and others don't?? Bring it to a shop and have it inspected? Do others have similar experience?

Your help is again appreciated.

Siggers 29-10-2012 11:55 AM

I called Jeep AU, and they said there was a recall for my 95, no VIN number given, give them a call, as it might be under something a little different, I think thats what I found anyways.

All they do is weld a plate onto the chassis rail and drill holes in it, then bolt it up, mine hasn't even got paint on it, so I have to soda blast it and then paint over it once I get the time.

Almost any fab shop could do it for you for a few hungrys (rather then stealership prices if your that worried), I know a place on the coast that could do it quite easily...

HybridXj 30-10-2012 10:16 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mato (Post 1259108)
Ok dose any one have pics of a modded chasis rail
my 97 (96 build) has some recal stickers on the door
but now i have a noise in the front end but only when its raining ???
i have searched hight and low and cant fined anything yet
looked at the steering box and it looks like nothing spical. normal
but i have a bad feeling that it is going to have to be a box mount for rail issue.
is jeep still helping with this issue or have they wiped there hands of this issue
i will try and rin jeep later on and see how i go.
but if any one has pics of a modded box would be a big help

Hi mate,

This is what I did to mine after the bolts had worked their way loose. Some cracks were evident once the box was removed and the holes the bolts mounted through had rounded slightly. I made new crush tubes and fitted a solid 3/4 rod through the chassis, welding both inner and outer plates to it to connect the walls. I then welded the plates to the chassis by infilling the holes drilled through the plates. This disperses the weld throughout the entire plate and minimises twist/warp and the chance of the welds cracking as a result.

tomxj 07-11-2012 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a plate up for mine. Only put it on the outside though, should I make another one up for the inside too?
See attached image of what I made, it is 6mm plate.

HybridXj 14-11-2012 07:59 AM

I would highly recommend it! The inside of mine, and many others, is where most of the cracking occurs. Also the main force/warping from your steering box is transferred straight to the inside wall.