AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Replace alternator-Buy alternator-HELP NEEDED! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111622)

1910DownUnder 17-12-2011 07:46 PM

Replace alternator-Buy alternator-HELP NEEDED!

Hi there...

I am new in this forum so please apologize if me thread is in the wrong spot or might already exist. I could not find any similar.

I have a 2001 Cherokee XJ Limited 4.0L and have been told by my mechanic today that I need a new alternator. He ran a check on my car today and all seems to be fine except that the altenator only provides about 12,4V. He says it should be about 13,5V
He recons that it costs me about $1,200 to $1,300 to replace it which I find quite expensive.

I actually have 3 questions:

1.) Is this a reasonable price for Sydney region/Northern Beaches?

2.) Where can I buy a new alternator? How much will it approximately cost?
I understood that I have to take the old alternator off to get the correct model number?

3.) Has anyone any manual or description of how to replace the alternator?
It seems easy accessible and consider it replacing myself.

Many thanks

Ben

Negdriver 17-12-2011 08:00 PM

That's a rip off... to me anyway

Alternators are usually only a few hundred dollars...

Someone here who has changed theirs will tell you soon enough.

Billnick 17-12-2011 08:16 PM

On my '98 I'm pretty sure it wasn't over $400. The labour includes removing the a/c fan as the lower mounting bolt is quite long and fouls the fan.

1910DownUnder 17-12-2011 08:29 PM

Just checked what a new alternator would cost me (without knowing the exact model). However, I should not pay more than $400 w/o installation.

From that point of view it really seems like a rip off!

Easy Rollins 1 17-12-2011 08:54 PM

Huuuuge ripoff.

Prob only the regulator...simple unbolt off the rear of the alt and swap out...around $80

anthonygubbin 17-12-2011 08:57 PM

Yerr mine was like 400 all up including new serpentine belt and labour.

regards A

1910DownUnder 17-12-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rollins 1 (Post 1246313)
Huuuuge ripoff.

Prob only the regulator...simple unbolt off the rear of the alt and swap out...around $80

Excuse my ignorance but what is the regulator, where does it sit and how do I know that this is the problem?

Cheers