AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   WK2 2012-13. Issues to look for? (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153932)

FamilyTruckster 26-09-2018 05:24 PM

WK2 2012-13. Issues to look for?

Hi all, new to the forum. As the heading says I’m looking at 2012-13 GC’s, 3.6 petrol or 3.0 diesel for everyday driving plus a little off road fun. I’m a little worried though with so many horror stories going around. What are the main things to look out for? Are they expensive to service? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Buffomarinus 26-09-2018 06:09 PM

I have a 2013 Diesel 100,000k's no issues. Check the service history, get under it and look for damage. if you know someone who has one take them with you to check it out.

FamilyTruckster 26-09-2018 06:40 PM

Thanks for the info. I don’t know anyone with one. Geez, I don’t know anyone with a 4x4 of any kind. Maybe I need to find some new friends 🤔

Nelso19 26-09-2018 08:19 PM

I recently purchased a 2012 GC Laredo, 3.6 Petrol with quadra lift. It only had 24,000 kms on it when I brought it and I paid $22,000 if that helps you at all with your search. The factory upgrade of the quadra lift (along with the low kms) was a huge factor in my purchase.

It is quite good on fuel on the highway for a large V6 @ 10L/100 kms. I have only ventured off road once and it was EXCELLENT. We took it down a step snotty rocky with loose dirt hill, put it in rock mode (low range and highest suspension setting) and I actually had to accelerate to get it down. Traction was THAT good.

Coming from an AWD Territory I'm loving having real 4WD and the extra ground clearance.

I have no issues to report so far.

timsarg 26-09-2018 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepersCreepers13 (Post 1640118)
Hi all, new to the forum. As the heading says I’m looking at 2012-13 GC’s, 3.6 petrol or 3.0 diesel for everyday driving plus a little off road fun. I’m a little worried though with so many horror stories going around. What are the main things to look out for? Are they expensive to service? Thanks in advance for any advice.

welcome but where are all these horror stories ? Sure there are lemons but looks at all other brands. All the same , but ppl just sensationalise jeep issues .................

FamilyTruckster 27-09-2018 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelso19 (Post 1640131)
I recently purchased a 2012 GC Laredo, 3.6 Petrol with quadra lift. It only had 24,000 kms on it when I brought it and I paid $22,000 if that helps you at all with your search. The factory upgrade of the quadra lift (along with the low kms) was a huge factor in my purchase.

It is quite good on fuel on the highway for a large V6 @ 10L/100 kms. I have only ventured off road once and it was EXCELLENT. We took it down a step snotty rocky with loose dirt hill, put it in rock mode (low range and highest suspension setting) and I actually had to accelerate to get it down. Traction was THAT good.

Coming from an AWD Territory I'm loving having real 4WD and the extra ground clearance.

I have no issues to report so far.

Thanks for the info. A Territory is my other option. But a Jeep sounds much better.

FamilyTruckster 27-09-2018 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timsarg (Post 1640135)
welcome but where are all these horror stories ? Sure there are lemons but looks at all other brands. All the same , but ppl just sensationalise jeep issues .................

It’s just that if you google reviews quite a bit of negativity pops up. Like all the recalls etc. But since I’m buying second hand then all of that should have been fixed. But you are right, people do sensationalise Jeep issues. That idiot “Jeep Lemon” guy on the news last year. I think he might even be on YouTube. Most problems seem to be with the dealers. But I wouldn’t go through them anyway.