AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   New 2015 JKU Entertainment unit (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141347)

Rickman 15-10-2015 01:25 PM

New 2015 JKU Entertainment unit

Hi All
I would like to upgrade the entertainment unit in my 2015 JKU. I would like a model with GPS, CD, USB Bluetooth & Reverse camera. Firstly I would like to know how easy or difficult it is to remove the original one. I was thinking of doing the install myself. Secondly I have seem some on EBAY for around $300. They seem to have all the right stuff including steering wheel controls. I have also been given prices close to the $1000 mark from JB Hifi & other suppliers. This seems to be a huge price difference & I am wondering if they are worth the extra cash. If anyone has installed an EBAY one, please let me know your opinions of it god or bad.
Any info would be appreciated

Rick

LeighP 15-10-2015 01:49 PM

I bought a "generic" double DIN unit with bluetooth, GPS and reverse camera off Ebay...thinking it'll be an acceptable unit......had it install properly in my wife's car.
The GPS sucks....takes forever to lock and find satellites, the mapping is crappy.
The bluetooth is patchy, her iPhone and previous Samsung both dropped out all the time....she now uses the iPhone by speaker in a cradle rather than the bluetooth.
The reverse camera is also intermittant....the signal sometimes is upside down or just non existant.....
It does have a good radio, plays CD and DVDs OK........
My advice....pay the extra, buy a name brand, have it properly set up with a warranty thats worth more than the paper it's printed on. :)

snowing 15-10-2015 02:39 PM

The first question is what do you have currently?
If you only have the base model, you are way better off with a name brand setup. It will cost quite a bit as you'll need to replace the speakers and amp as well. Otherwise by the time you put in an ebay unit, your itchy ears will want to upgrade other things.

As for how easy it is to remove things, you'll need to be aware that MY15 JK has different speakers setup compare to previous years. So some of the guides you found online might not be relevant especially for the sound bar. So you better check carefully first.

Rickman 15-10-2015 03:00 PM

I have a 2015 JKU CRD Sport with Alpine system with rear floor subwoofer.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

snowing 15-10-2015 03:16 PM

If that's the case, you're more or less stuck with it unless you are prepared to spend big bucks.
I presume you have the 731N head unit since you have the alpine option.

Omar 15-10-2015 03:59 PM

Hi

If You have the 731N head unit, why do You want to change

Rickman 15-10-2015 05:20 PM

I was looking for a unit that has built in gps & reverse camera.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app