AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Penrite Transmission Fluid (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152141)

Cherokee30D 18-02-2018 05:14 AM

Penrite Transmission Fluid

Not sure whether this is old news or not, however my mechanic has informed me that Penrite are about to release a transmission oil to suit our Grand Cherokees.
Same spec as original apparently.

Cheers, Craig

Buffomarinus 18-02-2018 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherokee30D (Post 1629476)
Not sure whether this is old news or not, however my mechanic has informed me that Penrite are about to release a transmission oil to suit our Grand Cherokees.
Same spec as original apparently.

Cheers, Craig

Is this for the ZF 8 speed transmission or the earlier W5A580 5 speed fitted to the earlier WK2s?

Cherokee30D 18-02-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffomarinus (Post 1629492)
Is this for the ZF 8 speed transmission or the earlier W5A580 5 speed fitted to the earlier WK2s?

It's for the ZF 8 speed, however I assume that they would also be doing it for the 5 speed.

Cheers, Craig

chocco 26-03-2018 09:15 AM

Ryco also now make a trans pan for the ZF 8 speed.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1ad6b5c0e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cobbly 28-03-2018 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocco (Post 1631273)
Ryco also now make a trans pan for the ZF 8 speed.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1ad6b5c0e5.jpg

Yes I saw that advertised at Supercheap for $217 - sounds good. Anyone tried fitting one?

GMEMUD 28-03-2018 08:18 PM

Nulon also do a oil for the ZF fleet guard 8

chocco 02-04-2018 07:03 PM

Bought a pan from super cheap and going with amsoil oil or redline not sure yet.

cobbly 02-04-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocco (Post 1631605)
Bought a pan from super cheap and going with amsoil oil or redline not sure yet.

Let us know how you go chocco - cheers

Markus 04-04-2018 10:12 AM

Looking at the Ryco website it says that the Jeep WK is not compatible with this pan/filter?

chocco 04-04-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus (Post 1631686)
Looking at the Ryco website it says that the Jeep WK is not compatible with this pan/filter?

RTK180 is the part number

Troutman 04-04-2018 12:04 PM

Good to know this part is available, though what a goatroot of a procedure to refill and even do something as basic as checking the level on this transmission. The fucking idiot that got rid of dipsticks really should be executed.

tasjeep 05-04-2018 02:08 PM

Found out today that Repco also have a pan to fit. GFS 845. Was quoted $290.

Trevor

chocco 05-04-2018 08:29 PM

Or

The other option is a Wesfil one:

WCTK157 - http://www.eziautoparts.com.au/wesfi...t-wctk157.html ($161.70)

Troutman 05-04-2018 09:25 PM

So what is the consensus on the service interval for the ZF box?

chocco 06-04-2018 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troutman (Post 1631792)
So what is the consensus on the service interval for the ZF box?

70 - 100k

I quick search of the Landrover forums and people that service them don’t let it go far.

johnnywal 06-04-2018 11:19 AM

I had a Territory with the 6 speed ZF in it that did 80% of its work towing a 2+ tonne van. I changed the transmission oil and filter every 100000 km, not draining the torque converter, but just dropping the pan. I replaced the original plastic pan with a pressed steel one from Motospecs in Melbourne. I only used the ZF Lifeguard fluid and when I sold it with 230000 km on the clock it was still operating faultlessly.
I plan to do the same with my, MY14 WK2 diesel and hopefully will end up with the same trouble free run. I am looking at the new oils that are supposed to be equal to the ZF Lifeguard but have yet to decide, as my unit has only 80000 km on the clock, so still 12 months before I do it.

Troutman 06-04-2018 02:27 PM

Yeah I'd reckon I'll be changing the oil complete at 80k and will be draining the TC unless the oil I'm putting back in is exactly the same. I would not be mixing oils no matter the spec stated on the bottle.

chocco 20-04-2018 05:56 PM

Hi Folks,

I ended up doing a rear LH bearing so it had to go to the workshop so I got the trans pan swapped and Penrite oil put in as well at the same time.

I would not recommend the the Ryco trans pan as it only has 2 magnets and the ones you can get on EBay from Germany have 4 sets of magnets and they are the same price.

It’s is shifting a lot better is that because it’s new oil or because it’s Penrite, who knows.

I can say that I had the work done at Poly 4x4 in Huntingdale and I will be back for its service/coolant flush I was most impressed.

bjm 21-04-2018 06:30 AM

Just remember heat is the killer of ATF ,not necessarily klms travelled. Most good auto trans shops will say if you are towing change the fluid every 30-40000 klms. An ATF change is a lot cheaper than a 6-8spd ZF box overhaul !! Just draining the transmission once will not replace all the old fluid. Drain/refill twice run trans between fills.

chocco 21-04-2018 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjm (Post 1632504)
Just remember heat is the killer of ATF ,not necessarily klms travelled. Most good auto trans shops will say if you are towing change the fluid every 30-40000 klms. An ATF change is a lot cheaper than a 6-8spd ZF box overhaul !! Just draining the transmission once will not replace all the old fluid. Drain/refill twice run trans between fills.

It was flushed not drained.

Treebreakerbob 21-04-2018 09:18 AM

Yep, the servo near me has one of those machines they hook up to the oil cooler lines, I think, and flush the new oil in while running car. It replaces exactly what it takes out

Do you have a 5 Or 8 speed gearbox

Bob

chocco 21-04-2018 09:25 AM

8 speed

tasjeep 23-04-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocco (Post 1632465)
Hi Folks,

I ended up doing a rear LH bearing so it had to go to the workshop so I got the trans pan swapped and Penrite oil put in as well at the same time.

I would not recommend the the Ryco trans pan as it only has 2 magnets and the ones you can get on EBay from Germany have 4 sets of magnets and they are the same price.

It’s is shifting a lot better is that because it’s new oil or because it’s Penrite, who knows.

I can say that I had the work done at Poly 4x4 in Huntingdale and I will be back for its service/coolant flush I was most impressed.

Do you have a link for the pan from Germany, I am unable to find it.

Trevor

chocco 01-06-2018 06:29 PM

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ZF-8HP70...EAAOSw42dZCDci

Here you go, this is the German one with the 4 magnets.

tasjeep 02-06-2018 06:09 AM

Thanks, on the road for the next 3 months so will order when I get home

GCDingo 18-11-2018 08:36 AM

Sorry to bring up an oldish thread but got a couple of questions. My 2015 is out of warranty at the end of the year, done 43k km. Have had a random issue with the gearbox when pulling up to a stop, seems like the torque converter won't disengage and the car shakes. Basically like it is stuck in 1st or when you don't depress the clutch in manual when coming to a stop.

Replicating it is as usual is difficult and I have tried many times. So I was going to get a mechanic to do the last service before I can start doing it once out of warranty and thought maybe as a precaution might change the oil pan and oil while he is at it. For those that have done it is the german one Chocco posted the best to get? Price seems ok being it comes with oil too.

bjm 18-11-2018 01:18 PM

GCDingo. Have you taken it into a Jeep dealer and told them the problem.Under the trade practices act FCA will still have to honour any warranty problems on this box as still under warranty.Especially at such low
klms. There are numerous TSBs for year 2014-15 pertaining to the auto transmission.Ranging from poor changing, shuddering etc.Most are fixed by reflashing etc. I would not fit new pan etc untill you have seen the dealer.Any work to be done on the 8 speed will involve mega dollars.!!

GCDingo 18-11-2018 01:32 PM

That is a fair point bjm. Thank you. I will do that just to protect myself.

Kenny72 18-11-2018 05:32 PM

Hello GCDingo, Reference to your 2015 running out of warranty, Doesn't your Jeep now have the extra 2 years as stated by FCA at the start of 2017 ( I think is when it started ) I have 2017 reg. model with the 5 years warranty so would expect your 2015 will be covered until 2020.
Regards
Kenny

GCDingo 18-11-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny72 (Post 1642642)
Hello GCDingo, Reference to your 2015 running out of warranty, Doesn't your Jeep now have the extra 2 years as stated by FCA at the start of 2017 ( I think is when it started ) I have 2017 reg. model with the 5 years warranty so would expect your 2015 will be covered until 2020.
Regards
Kenny

I'm not sure and don't know how to find out. It was a December 2015 delivery.

chocco 20-11-2018 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCDingo (Post 1642616)
Sorry to bring up an oldish thread but got a couple of questions. My 2015 is out of warranty at the end of the year, done 43k km. Have had a random issue with the gearbox when pulling up to a stop, seems like the torque converter won't disengage and the car shakes. Basically like it is stuck in 1st or when you don't depress the clutch in manual when coming to a stop.

Replicating it is as usual is difficult and I have tried many times. So I was going to get a mechanic to do the last service before I can start doing it once out of warranty and thought maybe as a precaution might change the oil pan and oil while he is at it. For those that have done it is the german one Chocco posted the best to get? Price seems ok being it comes with oil too.

Hey Dingo long time,

So everyone I replaced my oil and trans pan, all I can say is due to legal reasons I would be going with the German one with the 4 magnets.

Now as for the Penrite Trans Oil, I’m not a fan at cold temps, once it’s warmed up and reached operating temp of 93deg then it seems okay and no issues transitioning thru the gears.

When it’s cold gear changes are a little grabby and not as smooth as with the Lifeguard.

I will swap back but not at the moment, I am looking at installing a secondary filter so will probably do that at the same time.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GCDingo 21-11-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny72 (Post 1642642)
Regards
Kenny

HAd a bit of a search and I think it was only offered for 2017 onwards builds

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocco (Post 1642743)
Hey Dingo long time,

So everyone I replaced my oil and trans pan, all I can say is due to legal reasons I would be going with the German one with the 4 magnets.

Now as for the Penrite Trans Oil, I’m not a fan at cold temps, once it’s warmed up and reached operating temp of 93deg then it seems okay and no issues transitioning thru the gears.

When it’s cold gear changes are a little grabby and not as smooth as with the Lifeguard.

I will swap back but not at the moment, I am looking at installing a secondary filter so will probably do that at the same time.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Chocco, cheers for the info. Tune time is coming very shortly finally. Just gotta get GC in to get the gearbox issue on record first which of course they will find nothing wrong.

rickstevo 11-12-2018 07:15 PM

Just read all the posts here and am contemplating changing my pan and transmission fluid but how do you get all the fluid out….. besides using the drain plug. eg: torque converter. Ta fellas.

GCDingo 12-12-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickstevo (Post 1643521)
Just read all the posts here and am contemplating changing my pan and transmission fluid but how do you get all the fluid out….. besides using the drain plug. eg: torque converter. Ta fellas.

Two ways but hard by yourself and time consuming. Remove gearbox completely to get to torque converter and empty and replace fluid. Otherwise transmission shops do via a pump through the transmission cooler lines. I think the pan takes about 2 litres so just changing the pan only is just diluting it. But maybe 2-3 oil changes (pan only) over 10k km or something might be suffice with reusing the pan?

Lewy2001 12-12-2018 10:13 AM

I have changed pan @ 100K and you got 4-5 litres of new oil in. Without a pan change at 150K I got a little under 4 litres in.

rickstevo 15-12-2018 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCDingo (Post 1643541)
Two ways but hard by yourself and time consuming. Remove gearbox completely to get to torque converter and empty and replace fluid. Otherwise transmission shops do via a pump through the transmission cooler lines. I think the pan takes about 2 litres so just changing the pan only is just diluting it. But maybe 2-3 oil changes (pan only) over 10k km or something might be suffice with reusing the pan?

Watched youtube video of a guy disconnecting his return line and running old fluid into a bucket.... then refilling pan and repeating. Seemed to work ok.