AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Penrite Transmission Fluid (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152141)

Kenny72 18-11-2018 05:32 PM

Hello GCDingo, Reference to your 2015 running out of warranty, Doesn't your Jeep now have the extra 2 years as stated by FCA at the start of 2017 ( I think is when it started ) I have 2017 reg. model with the 5 years warranty so would expect your 2015 will be covered until 2020.
Regards
Kenny

GCDingo 18-11-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny72 (Post 1642642)
Hello GCDingo, Reference to your 2015 running out of warranty, Doesn't your Jeep now have the extra 2 years as stated by FCA at the start of 2017 ( I think is when it started ) I have 2017 reg. model with the 5 years warranty so would expect your 2015 will be covered until 2020.
Regards
Kenny

I'm not sure and don't know how to find out. It was a December 2015 delivery.

chocco 20-11-2018 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCDingo (Post 1642616)
Sorry to bring up an oldish thread but got a couple of questions. My 2015 is out of warranty at the end of the year, done 43k km. Have had a random issue with the gearbox when pulling up to a stop, seems like the torque converter won't disengage and the car shakes. Basically like it is stuck in 1st or when you don't depress the clutch in manual when coming to a stop.

Replicating it is as usual is difficult and I have tried many times. So I was going to get a mechanic to do the last service before I can start doing it once out of warranty and thought maybe as a precaution might change the oil pan and oil while he is at it. For those that have done it is the german one Chocco posted the best to get? Price seems ok being it comes with oil too.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ZF-8HP70...EAAOSw42dZCDci

Hey Dingo long time,

So everyone I replaced my oil and trans pan, all I can say is due to legal reasons I would be going with the German one with the 4 magnets.

Now as for the Penrite Trans Oil, I’m not a fan at cold temps, once it’s warmed up and reached operating temp of 93deg then it seems okay and no issues transitioning thru the gears.

When it’s cold gear changes are a little grabby and not as smooth as with the Lifeguard.

I will swap back but not at the moment, I am looking at installing a secondary filter so will probably do that at the same time.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GCDingo 21-11-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny72 (Post 1642642)
Regards
Kenny

HAd a bit of a search and I think it was only offered for 2017 onwards builds

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocco (Post 1642743)
Hey Dingo long time,

So everyone I replaced my oil and trans pan, all I can say is due to legal reasons I would be going with the German one with the 4 magnets.

Now as for the Penrite Trans Oil, I’m not a fan at cold temps, once it’s warmed up and reached operating temp of 93deg then it seems okay and no issues transitioning thru the gears.

When it’s cold gear changes are a little grabby and not as smooth as with the Lifeguard.

I will swap back but not at the moment, I am looking at installing a secondary filter so will probably do that at the same time.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Chocco, cheers for the info. Tune time is coming very shortly finally. Just gotta get GC in to get the gearbox issue on record first which of course they will find nothing wrong.

rickstevo 11-12-2018 07:15 PM

Just read all the posts here and am contemplating changing my pan and transmission fluid but how do you get all the fluid out….. besides using the drain plug. eg: torque converter. Ta fellas.

GCDingo 12-12-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickstevo (Post 1643521)
Just read all the posts here and am contemplating changing my pan and transmission fluid but how do you get all the fluid out….. besides using the drain plug. eg: torque converter. Ta fellas.

Two ways but hard by yourself and time consuming. Remove gearbox completely to get to torque converter and empty and replace fluid. Otherwise transmission shops do via a pump through the transmission cooler lines. I think the pan takes about 2 litres so just changing the pan only is just diluting it. But maybe 2-3 oil changes (pan only) over 10k km or something might be suffice with reusing the pan?

Lewy2001 12-12-2018 10:13 AM

I have changed pan @ 100K and you got 4-5 litres of new oil in. Without a pan change at 150K I got a little under 4 litres in.