AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   taillights not working (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153106)

JeepinBurford 12-06-2018 09:44 PM

taillights not working

hey so i was doing some bits n pieces and I seem to have knocked out my tail lights. still comes on when I brake so not the bulbs. all the fuses under the dash have been replaced today. is there anything in the switch/relay board next to the steering column under the dash I might need looking at? went into Covs today to see if they had any switches and the guy said "what the hell is this off??!" haha.

Billnick 13-06-2018 05:06 AM

There are 2 filaments in the one globe,1 brake 1 tail, so it still could be a faulty globe.
Turn the parking lights on and see if the parkers come on in the headlight. If they do the problem is in the back area wiring. Checkout the globes first.

awg 13-06-2018 09:54 AM

for working with Jeeps (or any older vehicle)

2 indispensable tools, you simply cannot get by without them

* test light

* multimeter, with continuity function that beeps audibly

Also needed is to download the FSM and check the diagnosis and/or circuit diagram

you just got to work back & forth from where there is electrons, to where there isnt

a roll of wire to jump/piggyback, and away you go...I had plenty like this in both mine

it takes about 20mins to check both sides of EVERY fuse, (in the boxes) with a test light...worth doing

LuluBelle 13-06-2018 06:34 PM

what bits n pieces were you doing ? anything near something to do with the taillights did you disturb the fog light button ? as all it does is make double tail lights
turn it on and see if those lights work ?
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

bonza 14-06-2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awg (Post 1635251)
for working with Jeeps (or any older vehicle)

2 indispensable tools, you simply cannot get by without them

* test light

* multimeter, with continuity function that beeps audibly

Also needed is to download the FSM and check the diagnosis and/or circuit diagram

you just got to work back & forth from where there is electrons, to where there isnt

a roll of wire to jump/piggyback, and away you go...I had plenty like this in both mine

it takes about 20mins to check both sides of EVERY fuse, (in the boxes) with a test light...worth doing

good advice

and first thing is to make sure earths are clean and well connected, plus use dialectic grease on all connections as it stops corrosion and water ingress

just fixed a light problem on a 25 year old Hilux that bamboozled me until discovering a bad earth