AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Trailhawk air suspension issues (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161626)

SeaComms 04-07-2023 08:05 PM

Trailhawk air suspension issues

Looking for advice that doesn't involve a dealer at this stage as I am about 3000km from the nearest!

Was trying to replace the front air suspension top air line elbow connectors and tried a trick I saw of disconnecting the height sensor links to drop down all the way, wasn't happy with the amount of gas still in there so refitted everything and everything was working OK.

Bought AlfaOBD and used an old ELM327 V1.4 I had in the car and evacuated the front springs to the tank, changed the elbows, no gas lost, all good so I thought. Since then it won't go to OR1 or higher and the front heights seem a bit over the place and was getting a service immediately warning accompanied by a calibration needed code. Thought might be low on gas so local ex jeep mechanics checked and at normal height was about 120PSI so they added Nitrogen to about 175PSI but made no difference.

Finally worked out today how to calibrate, successfully completed, errors gone, still stops before OR1 and just sits there pump not running with the front about 2/3 of the way from Normal to OR1.

Does the same using the buttons and AlfaOBD. Normal is about the only height that looks normal! It will happily go down to Aero or Park and come back in what seems like normal speeds, gas pressure comes back as OK (was set 175PSI with height at Normal).

Anyone with any clues? Currently in Kununurra and was to be heading to Elquestro towing 3t van...

drover 05-07-2023 07:43 AM

While not having an air bag job it does seem from my truck air bag days that the height sensor has possibly changed its position and thats why it stops before you want as it thinks its at the right height, try adjusting the linkage...

SeaComms 05-07-2023 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drover (Post 1692725)
While not having an air bag job it does seem from my truck air bag days that the height sensor has possibly changed its position and thats why it stops before you want as it thinks its at the right height, try adjusting the linkage...

Just did a full height calibration (sucessfully) which uses the current height readings compared to acutal heights measured, so unless its a sensor moving???

SeaComms 10-07-2023 10:08 AM

Well interestingly it now suddenly decided that OR1 was OK to use, thankfully as we had two water crossings, first at about 500mm towing the caravan, the second just under 600mm heading up to a lookout at El Questro.

Its not working well, sometimes goes straight up to OR1, other times gets 3/4 and just stops rising - the buttons stop flashing indicating its there, but the dash still flashing the rising indicator. Bizarre... But it got me through the water crassings which is what my main concern was. Will get it looked at when I return to civilisation.