AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   long cranking time (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161244)

cruising63 25-01-2023 01:59 PM

long cranking time

hi members,

this morning after 4 years of no problem ownership,my 2014 gc diesel, started taking excessive time cranking before firing. runs perfect after. no check lights coming up either. has anybody experienced this?

Thanking you in advance for any advice,before a trip to the dealers.

drover 25-01-2023 02:20 PM

Have you had a service done where the fuel filters were changed, if so check that they are in tight, need a 27mm socket and the bleed screw is tight....dont use gorilla grip its plastic.
Actually even if you haven't had a service I would start there and work my way up to the engine along the line looking for any weeps though an air leak may not show up as a fuel leak but fuel could be bleeding back...

You don't want it long cranking one bit as this can mean the HP pump may not be getting enough lubrication, try turning the key to ON with foot off the brake twice before booting the engine, this allows the pump to to bleed air out of the lines and it should start as normal..... if this works I would continue to do it until you get the problem sorted...... you don't want a HP pump failure.... a proper diesel shop like Diesel Care is a better place to start than a dealer in most cases.

cruising63 25-01-2023 07:36 PM

thank you drover.

i replaced the fuel filters 15 000km ago, so might not be that. i will put new one on on friday and try your suggestions. thank you heaps again,for giving me a second guess. i think you could be right.

FARWEST 25-01-2023 10:13 PM

Would also suggest changing your filters every 10k MAX.....thats more than enough out of a consumable....it may not be the issue this time but will save you in the long run

bjm 26-01-2023 03:09 AM

Could be faulty fuel rail pressure sensor,leaking injector. When it starts what color smoke out the exhaust

drover 26-01-2023 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjm (Post 1689517)
Could be faulty fuel rail pressure sensor,leaking injector. When it starts what color smoke out the exhaust

Yep, that too, thought starrt at the simple before the pain in bum stuff...lol.

Colm 26-01-2023 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruising63 (Post 1689503)
hi members,

this morning after 4 years of no problem ownership,my 2014 gc diesel, started taking excessive time cranking before firing. runs perfect after. no check lights coming up either. has anybody experienced this?

Thanking you in advance for any advice,before a trip to the dealers.

Does the engine spin normal when cranking or does it sound like it is struggling to turn over.
After a run and you try to restart, does it fire up as normal?