AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Myths and fairy tails about the VM TD (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96380)

sfedek 21-04-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbo737 (Post 1183024)
Hi guys just got my hands on a 2.5 VM TD 2001 XJ its only done 40000km from new and is in real nice original condition. It's my first diesel and have a couple of questions a hope some of the seasoned veterans can answer.

1. What are the golden rules I should follow in regards to routine maintenance?
2. Any warm up / cool down procedures I should follow to look after the engine?

Thanks

Well congratulations!
I have had a XJ Diesel now for nearly two years & love it. I just recently got my second one. ( more off road ready )
All i do is Let them warm up, don't drive them hard till they have been warm for a while & every 5000 k's change the oil & filter!
Pop the bonnet every couple of days to see if anything has changed under there & thats about it!
Love my XJ TD

Eddy

murray 21-04-2011 11:44 AM

use a good coolant
i use cat elc

MattP 26-04-2011 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by layback40 (Post 1160691)
Hi every one.
I am new on here so please be kind !!;)

I have just relocated a 2000 XJ turbo diesel from Queensland to Victoria.
No probs with roadworthy except the number on the left hand side of the block isnt the same as the engine number on the Queensland rego.
The rego has a number YLxxxxxxT & the motor has a number DD##C#####
What gives? We have looked all over for the YL number & cant find it. The motor is original, never been out of the car.
Is the DD number a VM number & the YL number a jeep number they just forgot to put on the motor?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem when I had mine diesel re-registered in Queensland after it had been sitting in someones garage for a couple of years. The numbers didn't match even though the engine had never been changed. The rego office said it happened often and its usually a dealer mistake when entering info when the car is new.

Deezelweazel 21-07-2011 03:54 PM

Remanufactured heads

After finding some noob clutter in here it is time to bring this sticky back on track.

Did some research and found there are some cheap replacement heads out there.
Be warned, these heads are not OE parts or produced according to specs.There are a couple of differences.
- Part number is not melted into the heads.
- Core plugs are not even in the head. Surface is milled around the core plug.
- OE heads must have a golden colour. This colour is a heat treatment, making the heads more resistant to heat.
- To much material is cut away on the fake heads.
- Valves are not bimetall.
- have a look at the precombustion chamber is the surface milled or even. If the surface is milled, you have a fake head! Again the golden colour must be there. Plain surfaces are prone to crack.

I will post the warning letter I received from VM Motori later.
Hope this helps to save money, instead of buying twice.

Antiferret 26-07-2011 09:10 AM

in the spirit of preventative maintenance.

My grandfather used to "shim" new radiator caps to increase coolant pressure.

he did this on trucks when he was in the war in the solomons as it helped to prevent "hot spots" in the low compression engines (i am sure this means cavitation) by raising the boiling point of the water. assuming the hoses are in good condition, a few Kpa increase won't hurt. the extra increase in pressure shouldn't blow in the head gasket as the cylinders should have stopped "wandering" by then.

thoughts?

Billnick 26-07-2011 12:43 PM

Methinks you are referring to petrol engines as diesels have always been up around the 19:1 comp ratio, whereas '40's petrol trucks were 6:1. I wouldn't be upping the pressure on anything later than an engine built in the '60's. IMHO.

Antiferret 26-07-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billnick (Post 1208465)
Methinks you are referring to petrol engines as diesels have always been up around the 19:1 comp ratio, whereas '40's petrol trucks were 6:1. I wouldn't be upping the pressure on anything later than an engine built in the '60's. IMHO.

not compression ratio, coolant pressure. it's regulated by the radiator cap and allows excess into the radiator overflow bottle.

Billnick 26-07-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antiferret (Post 1208415)
it helped to prevent "hot spots" in the low compression engines

That's what I'm saying, if he had a low compression engine it would have been petrol. I wouldn't be upping the radiator pressure on a new engine for fear of blowing a gasket.

Deezelweazel 26-07-2011 08:57 PM

I'm posting a couple of detail pictures of the single head this evening. Just to make clear what we deal with. Coolant lines in this head are real tricky.