AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   KK Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=198)
-   -   mechanical help needed for wifes KK (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147240)

Snaek 18-01-2017 08:04 AM

mechanical help needed for wifes KK

Hi there, my first post here.. have browsed as a guest for a while.

I have a big problem with my wifes 3.7 petrol KK cherokee..

Long story tell me if any of this is familiar and what I need to do:-

Nice drive on a hot day a week ago on normal road.

Battery light comes on, followed soon by the temp alarm... within about a minute of watching the temp (got to max 75%)... the belt goes off into the the fan smashes both fans up.. Shaft on the water pump seems to have broken bringing down the fan belt.. OK not so bad... get towed back to sydney, mechanic replaces broken parts, should be happy motoring:-

BUT

It seems as if the water pump impeller has disintegrated/disappeared up into the cooling jacket. Now the best part:-

The mechanic who is a mate is saying 2nd hand engine best way to go $10,000 thanks very much. He reckons that the motor is running but continues to overheat.

My theory is that the coolant has air pocket in it maybe the impeller is blocking something, or coolant needs to be vaccum pumped in, radiator blocked etc.

Obviously I'm looking for a second opinion and thinking I will need to go elsewhere. They cannot give me a reason why the engine overheats.

KKnut 18-01-2017 11:34 AM

Damn! Think I better replace my water pump before that happens to me.

So is your mate saying that he never found the impeller or just not all of it?

For not a lot of dollars there are plenty of inspection cameras available which have built in illumination probes such as a plumber might use and are often used by mechanics too.

If you can spot the culprit then try poking a flexible magnetic thingy up into the coolant path to see if it can be extracted.

I wouldn't expect the engine to cost that much, you'd get a whole wrecked KK for under $5k and sell the other parts cheap to AJOR members to offset the cost. Hope this helps, good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snaek 18-01-2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KKnut (Post 1601524)
Damn! Think I better replace my water pump before that happens to me.

So is your mate saying that he never found the impeller or just not all of it?

None of the impeller has been recovered, all that was left was the shaft. I dont know if the shaft breaking caused the impeller to go or the impeller had gradually gone.

My plan B is to buy a donor wreck and maybe get both going.

I feel like the engine should run well enough even if there is an impeller somewhere in there? My gut tells me there is an air pocket in the cooling line causing the temp to rise.

Methamon 18-01-2017 12:29 PM

They are selling complete rebuilt 3.7L engines plus labour to replace for 5000 dollars I think the engine was 3600 plus the rest labour

KKnut 18-01-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkKJCherokee (Post 1601529)
They are selling complete rebuilt 3.7L engines plus labour to replace for 5000 dollars I think the engine was 3600 plus the rest labour

Who is "they" Mark? Be good to keep that one for later.

Snaek I can't follow your logic, as a technician I couldn't ignore a foreign object being inside the fluid lines of a problem machine and put it down to trapped air. As far as I'm aware this engine isn't prone to trapping air any more than most, besides jamming a garden hose flowing at full pressure into one of the coolant ports should easily fix that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Methamon 18-01-2017 04:44 PM

http://www.alloptionsengines.com.au/warranty.html

Methamon 18-01-2017 04:45 PM

Some of their prices

Jeep Cherokee Wrangler
V6 engine $4390
Toyota Landcruiser
1FZ-FE engine fitted $4900
Kia Grand Carnival
Engine $4950
Holden Rodeo