AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sticky's - New members please stop by (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   ZJ on the driveway! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131088)

bozz 08-02-2014 01:28 PM

ZJ on the driveway!

G'day everyone!

Bought myself a 1996 ZJ Grand Cherokee Limited off gumtree a couple of weeks ago for the enormous sum of $1000!

I've been looking for a 4WD since we moved into our home on 43 acres of steep mountain rainforest in Northern NSW a couple of months ago. Mostly just need a driveway hack and workhorse to save wear and tear on our 2WD cars - the driveway is 700m long, gravel on compacted clay, with switchback corners carved out if the mountainside. Most cars do it fine, but the Jeep does it best!!!

Since she's such a ripper and was registered until recently I'm going to try to get her registered again soon.
In the meantime I've got to fit the alternator I just bought from Jeeeparts for a great price and fantastic service!
Already benefited from joining this forum!

Hopefully that will be the only real problem I have getting her reliable again. Seems the owner a couple before me had done a fair bit of work since a lot of engine and suspension components look fairly fresh. Got a cracked exhaust manifold and the auto sometimes takes a while to realise I've change from fwd to reverse and vice versa, but hey, for a thousand bucks I'm not complaining!

Will post a pic soon.

Cheers all,
bozz

Escapable 08-02-2014 04:16 PM

Sounds like its about normal - cracked exhaust manifold, alternator probs but you will be totally amazed with what a change of oil and filter (cheap enough) in the gearbox will do! These jeeps are unreal as std in the rough and you will do things with it you wouldn't normally attempt.
Good buying!

Josha 08-02-2014 04:20 PM

Nice one, sounds like they have hit rock bottom in the retail world.

Escapable 08-02-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josha (Post 1446439)
Nice one, sounds like they have hit rock bottom in the retail world.

Ah,yes,
But not to the level of the next few models .. Need an overdraft and mortgage to keep one of those on the track.

bozz 10-02-2014 07:45 PM

ZJ on the driveway!

What's the story with the Haynes workshop manual?
I fitted the alternator yesterday so when planning the job on Saturday I checked the manual and looked in the engine bay and wondered whether my engine was actually from a Jeep!
Then I panicked that the alternator wouldn't fit cos it's for a ZJ.
Easiest job in the world as long as I left the manual in the back seat!
Swapped out and in in under an hour, with distractions.
Now she starts in the morning and shows around 14v on the gauge with no more check gauges light :-)

rastus2571 10-02-2014 07:56 PM

Re: ZJ on the driveway!

Haynes are American manuals mostly. I have one for my XJ. It's only useful for reference and non-usa specific items. Steering, trim, specs etc in the manual only show mainly lhd items.

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using Tapatalk 2

Wooders 11-02-2014 07:20 AM

No Haynes are just a waste of paper. Do yourself a favour and burn or sell it now.
Then see if you can source a Factory Service Manual. It should be not just specofic for your zj but also your year model. Also a FSM will be 1000+pages compared to the 250ish for the crappy haynes.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk