AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   WG transfer case drop (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134504)

Elio_S 26-07-2014 08:15 AM

WG transfer case drop

Was wondering if anybody has done it and whats involved? Is it as simple as just installing the crossmember spacers in or do I need to mpdofy the shift lever and linkages too?

ohmygrodd 26-07-2014 10:06 AM

Gidday Elio
It does seem just a simple matter of putting the spacers in there. The purpose is to "re-align" your drive-line so if you are installing it then everything else is actually out of line, so to speak. If you are fabricating your own spacers you may need to obtain longer bolts. Here's a link to a set you can buy, there may be others but I have seen these when looking on this site for other stuff I have bought from them.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFW

Elio_S 26-07-2014 11:07 AM

Thanks, they were the ones I had my eye on. Am planning on purchasing a set of 2" Dobinsons springs to fit along with the budget lift that is already in there giving me a total of 4" over standard. Along with 2" extended bumpstops, a rear A arm spacer and an adjustable track bar, I planned on dropping the transfer case to keep the driveline in check.

bodgie 26-07-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elio_S (Post 1482521)
Was wondering if anybody has done it and whats involved? Is it as simple as just installing the crossmember spacers in or do I need to mpdofy the shift lever and linkages too?

What problem are you trying to fix?

Elio_S 26-07-2014 11:12 AM

No problem yet, but there will be after a 4" lift

Hanna 26-07-2014 02:01 PM

I'd be more concerned with the potential for death wobble than driveline vibrations going up to 4" on short arms. Driveline vibrations can be reduced or removed by using adjustable control arms and double cardan driveshafts, whereas death wobble is a whole different ball game. Anything over 2" on short arms opens you up to the issue. I am one of the lucky ones who has installed the IRO 3" lift and never had DW in my WJ. *fingers crossed* Maybe consider some 1" spacers if you do become a victim?

By the way, be careful with the transfer drop kit as it actually makes the front driveshaft angle worse, not better as the engine, trans and transfer case pivot from the engine mounts (It will improve the rear driveshaft angle, but this is less critical). Added to the fact that you will lose some of the clearance you gain from the additional lift, personally I wouldn't bother. There are plenty of threads on US forums regarding the transfer case drop cons if you need further advice.

Elio_S 26-07-2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanna (Post 1482560)
I'd be more concerned with the potential for death wobble than driveline vibrations going up to 4" on short arms. Driveline vibrations can be reduced or removed by using adjustable control arms and double cardan driveshafts, whereas death wobble is a whole different ball game. Anything over 2" on short arms opens you up to the issue. I am one of the lucky ones who has installed the IRO 3" lift and never had DW in my WJ. *fingers crossed* Maybe consider some 1" spacers if you do become a victim?

By the way, be careful with the transfer drop kit as it actually makes the front driveshaft angle worse, not better as the engine, trans and transfer case pivot from the engine mounts (It will improve the rear driveshaft angle, but this is less critical). Added to the fact that you will lose some of the clearance you gain from the additional lift, personally I wouldn't bother. There are plenty of threads on US forums regarding the transfer case drop cons if you need further advice.

Some good points to ponder there Hanna. I was actually thinking of the IRO 3" kit, then I thought, well I already have 2" coil spacers, what if I add 2" coils and drop the case an inch to correct the tailshaft angles. Now you have me swaying back towards the 3" IRO kit lol