AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fabrication and Custom (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Welding and Fabriction advice 101 (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96096)

murray 04-09-2010 06:40 PM

of course can yuo post up a couple of pics of the weld area

Matty ducati 04-09-2010 08:21 PM

Thanks muzz, all done no leaks. now to see how long it stays like that.
Yes i did purge it with water then argon, no bangs.

ian 10-09-2010 07:26 PM

welding alloy

i have some h2 hummer rims and getting some alloy rock rings to weld on to them, never welded alloy before, what do i need? can i use different wire in my mig? is the gas the same? guesing not. what about tig welding?

murray 12-09-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian (Post 1120733)
welding alloy

i have some h2 hummer rims and getting some alloy rock rings to weld on to them, never welded alloy before, what do i need? can i use different wire in my mig? is the gas the same? guesing not. what about tig welding?

i would say that the rims ar heat treated alloy the rims and rings will need pre heating and post heating
gas needs to be pure argon
if you have a tig use this to tackkk the rings in to position as this will eliminate any coldstarts then use alloy wire in mig the ttig would take to long

fabio 04-10-2010 01:33 PM

Welded My Knuckles today as per the tips posted here. Job was quicker and easier than I thought it would be. Turned out really well. The weld area is alot harder than the original metal, so time will tell if it will wear evenly or not, but I think it will be ok.

Wooders 05-10-2010 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ian (Post 1120733)
welding alloy

Ian, I don't think those hummer rims are Alloy - way too heavy.

tkau007 18-10-2010 11:41 AM

welder in melbourne

Hey all,

Firstly, i cannot weld, at all.

I am wanting to fabricate a small custom roof rack as nothing on the market meets my needs or budget

Would any of you competent people in melbs be up for it? it will definitely result in numerous cans of cold poison heading in your direction.

Otherwise, anybody suggest a professional who would be willing to take on a small job but not cost a fortune.

Cheers