AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   JK Wrangler Australia (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   (Not so) mysterious clunk from steering. (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144879)

Banshee 19-07-2016 05:55 PM

(Not so) mysterious clunk from steering.

So, I have noticed the vague steering of the JK for some time, but as it has always had a tendency to follow the camber I never thought much about it.

A day or so ago, I first heard a distinct CLUNK as I was pulling out from a carpark. Heard it again each time after that, always at low speed. So today I had one of the kids wiggle the steering wheel while I had a look around under the front.

As suspected, the ball joints at both ends of the drag link are stuffed & moving significantly. Looking at options for replacement. The OEN drag link has a fixed ball joint at the pitman arm end, so I have to replace the whole thing. Can't afford to go with the high steer kit, (I'd probably have to get new wheels as well...), and already have the adjustable Synergy front track bar so the axle is centered.

What I have found so far at SBR Off Road in price order:

Crown Drag link + Crown drag link outer socket $73.50+$49.50=$123
Synergy HD drag link, $290.50
Terraflex HD drag link, $491

Crown is basically OEM, Synergy & Terraflex have ball joints that are replaceable at each end.

Suggestions or comments? The JK hasn't been properly off road in some time & probably won't be for a while yet, so the HD isn't really necessary, but I hate having to replace the whole link for a shot ball joint at one end.

Other than being tougher, are the HD links worth the extra? Or do I just go with OEM as it will probably last me another 8 years...?

Johnboy 19-07-2016 05:58 PM

I've got a synergy unit for sale with new ball joints 0411049898

Percy28 19-07-2016 07:03 PM

Crown are pretty average, had one unit fail, had someone else I know also have another fail (mine was tie rod, other was draglink). I just bought a teraflex tie rod and its a great unit.

Are you running standard rims?

Banshee 19-07-2016 09:23 PM

I'm in NSW, Johnboy, but I might take you up on that! I'll call Wednesday. :)

Yes, standard 17" rims. It is an '08 that came with 255/75R17 stock.

Banshee 28-07-2016 04:06 PM

OK. So I have the replacement Synergy drag link, (Thanks, Johnboy!), now I just have to swap it.

From those who have done it, any suggestions on getting the old one out? I have the BJ press I bought to do the BJs in the front axle, but it's not really the right tool for that end of the BJ. I think I used a couple of FB screwdrivers & a hammer to get the hubs off the axle...

rang0 28-07-2016 04:40 PM

You might find thevreason why the drag link joints wear out is because the tie tod rolls when you turn. Go on to ruffstuff.com and look up the cure. It goes between the ball joint and nuckle and prevents the tie rod to roll when turning.

Sent from my SM-J100Y using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

Johnboy 28-07-2016 07:52 PM

2 hammers hold one against where balljoint taper goes in hub then belt it with other hammer on opposite side imagine your trying to squash the hole oval