AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   WK WK2 Grand Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=284)
-   -   Canning Stock Route in a WK2 (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152232)

Jamie888 02-03-2018 09:08 PM

Canning Stock Route in a WK2

Ok guys,

Planning the CSR in my 2014 Petrol Laredo.

Current mods:

- Chief/Mopar Protection plates
- Dual Battery
- Outback Armour Lift

Before to Trip:

- Long range fuel tank

Besides the normal stuff... Can the old WK2 make it?

imaz 03-03-2018 01:38 AM

Interesting.

When are you going? Solo?

Would there be flood this time of the year?

Snorkel?

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

KJ_andy 11-03-2018 09:25 PM

Hey here is some background on the journey

There are 8 videos in the trip you might want to watch

Grippy 12-03-2018 02:28 PM

I've watched all of that series, and the 4xOverland one which is excellent and much better to show what to expect.
Is your rig a 6 or v8 petrol mate? Not sure how much fuel you would need, but I'm guessing it would be a shitload, plus the fuel drop and hopefully no one else pinches it before you get there. Can you get unleaded at that remote Aboriginal settlement, I think a lot are diesel only.
Would be an epic trip, def on my bucket list, but I don't think the ol V8 WJ could carry near enough fuel for it

Sent from my SM-T530 using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

08crd 12-03-2018 03:40 PM

It's easier North to South, than South to North, saw an old 2WD kombi coming down North to South.
But as people have said preparation is the key, don't overload the car, all the weight has to go through the diff housing.:wink:

humdingerslammer 12-03-2018 07:55 PM

I did the CSR about 5 yrs ago (see my posts) in a Rubi JK Petrol. It is easier to do it south to north because of the shape of the dunes but any direction will be OK. U should have a 2" lift, mud terrain tyres (6 of on rims) and u should be lowering them to about 18-20 PSI pretty much all the way.

Take enough fuel to get to Kunnawarritji where there is diesel and unleaded @ about $3.50/litre. Calculate fuel use by X 1.8 compared to normal use to be safe.

The CSR is very corrugated - 1800 km of them- with sand dunes that r not much of a challenge really. There r lots of nice places to stop. U R on your own so make sure u r well prepared. The peak period (say April to Sept) sees nearly 1000 vehicles pass thru Kunnawaritje so there is a lot of traffic.

Take a good tyre pump and some tyre repair plugs etc. Do a service prior to leaving home. Take spare water (about 100 litres) for a 10 -12 day traverse (this is in addition to your daily use) and take 10 days spare food (in addition to daily use). Make sure u have a working 2 way radio. You will need protection from the sun.

Some of the restored wells have good water that needs to be sterilised by boiling for at least 5-10 minutes and then passed thru a stocking or kitchen cloth to strain out the bugs. Take precooked food that has been frozen and kept in an Engel or Waeco to cut down your water use. Take small utensils rather than large ones that will also force u to restrict water use.

Don't forget dunny paper and remember to burn it, not bury it.Use hand sterilizing solution.

There is not a lot of natural fire wood (don't burn it anyway; something lives in it and it all helps to stablise the dunes/landscape etc.) so take your own wood for fires or, better still, use gas.

Take sensibkle spares like belts, air filter etc and perhaps a spare front and rear spring and shock.If u see organized touring groups smashing up the dunes, have a crack at them!!
I will write more later tomorrow.

Cheers

Jamie888 27-03-2018 10:18 PM

I've just got the 3.6 Petrol mate.. I pack pretty light, so plenty of room for fuel and water... I'd just love to do it!