AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Steering Box Bolts Sheared Off!!! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107124)

junglejuice 14-07-2014 11:18 AM

I would get it repaired by Chrysler and then add a steering box brace afterwards...

swoody 14-07-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junglejuice (Post 1480134)
I would get it repaired by Chrysler and then add a steering box brace afterwards...

That sounds sensible, but I'm worried about how long i'd be without my Jeep

Sent from my LG-P716 using Tapatalk

Wally3218 14-07-2014 01:21 PM

My experience was
Check with your dealership first if they tell you the recall is finished phone Jeep Australia and they will tell the dealership to do the work
The dealership will get a panel shop to do the repairs the hard part is finding the parts , it's not a cheap job for them to do.
It takes a while for the work to be done, if you want your Jeep back quicker you might be able to do the work yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xrxj 14-07-2014 02:19 PM

So glad I seen this thread ! Will have a scratch around and find my vin number ( currently unregistered ) and go down the path of getting it rectified, anyone in brisbane had this done recently that could offer any advice to a first time jeep owner?

Wally3218 14-07-2014 02:53 PM

I would suggest when you have the vin number to ring Jeep Australia and they will tell you about the recall
The dealerships don't want to know and try and tell you the recall is finished.

swoody 14-07-2014 04:56 PM

Ok, I called Jeep Australia and they confirmed the recall has no expiry date. I then rang my local dealership and they said I can leave the car with them, but they won't be able to look at it until next week.
It looks like I will be getting it fixed by Jeep, but I'm now getting increasingly concerned that I'm gonna be without my off-roader for weeks or even months like some have mentioned. I have tons of trips planned in that time that I really don't want to miss out on. Does anyone know where I stand from a legal perspective if it takes them months to fix my car???

Wally3218 14-07-2014 05:39 PM

Mine took over two months to fix. , they tried sourcing the bracket from USA and had trouble finding one , they ended up finding a bracket in Perth WA . Then the had to get a quote from a panel shop to do the repairs approved by Jeep Australia , all this takes time and they seem to be in no rush as they complain they are making no money, I ket ringing up on a weekly basis to see how they were progressing.
Good luck

swoody 14-07-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally3218 (Post 1480191)
Mine took over two months to fix. , they tried sourcing the bracket from USA and had trouble finding one , they ended up finding a bracket in Perth WA . Then the had to get a quote from a panel shop to do the repairs approved by Jeep Australia , all this takes time and they seem to be in no rush as they complain they are making no money, I ket ringing up on a weekly basis to see how they were progressing.
Good luck

Did you threaten legal action? Im not sure about recalls but with new car warranties there are limits to how long a dealer can keep your car without compensation or replacement.
I won't be putting up with them having it for months, I have other cars, but the Xj is my only 4wd and I use it ALOT. It does 10,000km p/a all on weekends and mostly off-road.

Sent from my LG-P716 using Tapatalk

Wally3218 15-07-2014 10:23 AM

I'm not sure how you would go threatening legal action I suppose the first place to check would be consumer affairs , good luck