AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Steering Box Bolts Sheared Off!!! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107124)

Guzzi 16-01-2014 01:52 PM

Hi,

Has happened to my 330,000 kms 1996 XJ just before xmas.

My wife has been driving the Cherokee most of the time over the past two years and had complained about a noise coming from the steering and a thump felt through the transmission tunnel against her left foot. Had it checked out three times by two different mechanics who could find nothing loose.

Six months later she complained of a loud bang and the steering becoming more vague, again all checked out but I was not happy with the steering and was considering having the steering box renewed.

Then just before xmas another loud bang and the steering wheel is around 45deg to the right when driving straight ahead and judged too dangerous to drive at any speed. Immediately handed over to our regular mechanic who was very surprised to find the steering box bolts sheared off!

Guzzi

yetiboy01 16-01-2014 04:29 PM

Steering Box Bolts Sheared Off!!!

Check with Jeep, there was a 2 part recall on the steering box mounting bolts & the chassis rail repairs, if the recall hasn't been done get jeep to carry out the recall, you will need to give them your vin when you call, call jeep Australia if you don't have any luck with your local dealer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guzzi (Post 1440938)
Hi,

Has happened to my 330,000 kms 1996 XJ just before xmas.

My wife has been driving the Cherokee most of the time over the past two years and had complained about a noise coming from the steering and a thump felt through the transmission tunnel against her left foot. Had it checked out three times by two different mechanics who could find nothing loose.

Six months later she complained of a loud bang and the steering becoming more vague, again all checked out but I was not happy with the steering and was considering having the steering box renewed.

Then just before xmas another loud bang and the steering wheel is around 45deg to the right when driving straight ahead and judged too dangerous to drive at any speed. Immediately handed over to our regular mechanic who was very surprised to find the steering box bolts sheared off!

Guzzi

xrxj 09-02-2014 06:25 AM

How hard is it to replace a steering box ? Mine is rooted and leaking like a sieve

eksjay 26-02-2014 07:34 AM

Hi people, I had received the first recall letter back in 97 or 98. I think the car had been pulled apart but not sure what work was done at the time. I have always been the owner. Then this year, I heard a clank sound under the front end when turning hard left down hill out of a driveway. I figure it could be a sway bar issue, but I am also weary of the steering box issue. Can someone tell me or show me pics of where i could have a look at either section and exactly what to look for. The car still drives straight but i want to keep it that way.

Big Dave 26-02-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksjay (Post 1450314)
Hi people, I had received the first recall letter back in 97 or 98. I think the car had been pulled apart but not sure what work was done at the time. I have always been the owner. Then this year, I heard a clank sound under the front end when turning hard left down hill out of a driveway. I figure it could be a sway bar issue, but I am also weary of the steering box issue. Can someone tell me or show me pics of where i could have a look at either section and exactly what to look for. The car still drives straight but i want to keep it that way.

That sounds like the sway bar d bushes are gone and allowing the sway bar to slide left to right & hit the chassis rail. If it's the steering box bolts the clicking can be heard when stationary & rocking the steering left to right. You will also see the steering box bolt heads on the outside of the chassis rail on the drivers side move or flex the outer rail in & out if looking while someone rocks the wheel for you. Here is a pic of mine with the reinforcing plate under the bolt heads before it was completed properly & welded in too. http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...1&d=1206318353 It's the slotted plate behind the solid bull bar bracket in the photo.

xjdavid 26-02-2014 09:42 AM

They only did the stage 1 mod back in 97. It is possible it needs the stage 2 mod done.

eksjay 27-02-2014 07:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I had a look at my steeler invoices back when jeep stealerships were good, and there is a line item with part number 05003299AA with the description "bolt kit, subframe". This work was done in June 97. Was this stage 1? What is stage 2? Where was the letter for it?

My steering doesn't make any clicking noises but turns smoothly, but this is not to say that it is in good shape.

yetiboy01 27-02-2014 09:54 PM

Steering Box Bolts Sheared Off!!!

Call jeep with your vin & they will be able to tell you what recals were done

Wally3218 05-03-2014 08:13 AM

Crack

1 Attachment(s)
Loud crack when I turned my steering wheel and the steering felt bit loose drove the the Jeep dealership in Geelong and heard another crack and found this under my car, now awaiting repairs.
Attachment 66884