AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/index.php)
-   XJ / MJ Cherokee (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Steering Box Bolts Sheared Off!!! (https://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107124)

Hamsteh 17-09-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tassiecj6 (Post 1221786)
should I check my 2000 XJ for this issue ? :(
i thought it needed a wheel alignment but it could be this problem .

I think you should call your local dealer and ask about the recall, give them your VIN and see what they say. They'll either tell you to bring it in or alternatively, if they instead say not to worry, I would then check it myself (with the help of a friend). I don't have a lot of faith in dealerships ;)

Evert 21-09-2011 02:07 PM

Can anyone still post a couple of photo's of the actual cracks and the remedy that Jeeps instalels?

I've had a quick look, but I couldn't see anything. I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong place or if I'm just one of the lucky few taht doesn't have any cracks.

Mind you that the engine bay on the diesels is pretty cramped and that mine has mud everywhere.

Big Dave 21-09-2011 02:45 PM

Mines been fixxed & has other reovery hook brackets in the way so a photo will only confuse. Have someone turn the steering wheel back & forth while you stick your head under the front of the car looking at the 3 bolt heads of the steering box bolts in the drivers side wheel arch. You will be able to see them moving in & out with the chassis rail wall flexxing. The cracks show up in this area mostly.

Turismo07 23-09-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 1222730)
Mines been fixxed & has other reovery hook brackets in the way so a photo will only confuse. Have someone turn the steering wheel back & forth while you stick your head under the front of the car looking at the 3 bolt heads of the steering box bolts in the drivers side wheel arch. You will be able to see them moving in & out with the chassis rail wall flexxing. The cracks show up in this area mostly.

Cheers for the info.

nixon 10-10-2011 10:39 PM

I had the bolts that bolt the steering box tear straight thro the chassis, to fix it I got 2 plates of 6mm stainless steel drilled the holes in the correct spots and use the plate as on both sides to sort of a support the weak point and hold the steering box back in the correct position, it's a very common issue I've heard and is obvious when you see how thin the metal for the support us. Brent

nzoliver 21-10-2011 04:08 AM

Hi all,

There was no 'check' done in NZ. It was just 'do the recall'. All plates were fitted etc as a matter of course. :)

Jeep here will still happily do them. It is a 2 day job as a Govt. vehicle inspector has to inspect the/any welding. Big job as all the front comes off. :-?

I would suggest all XJ owners call their dealers and check if the recall has been done. I do and I also tell anyone I see with a freshly imported KJ to get to the dealers and have the 2 recalls done those too!!:cool:

Have a day

Oliver:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOoz (Post 1201609)
This is a known issue on the XJ. Mine is a 1995 limited, and I had the same thing occur about 3 years ago now. It was fixed by Chrysler under warranty.

There are many threads about it on this site, so do a quick search if you want more info. To summarise them, the chassis rail that the steering box is bolted to can flex (not properly engineered when they designed the right hand drive version), and over time this flexing softens the steel. High tensile bolts are not designed to flex so at some stage they snap in half. Have a look, it is impressive.

The dealers did a "check" when a recall was introduced a long time ago, but if your XJ passed the "check" it was never looked at again - but the problem becomes worse over time. So the warranty recall check had been done on my XJ, it passed, so they left the time bomb on the road until it finally failed.

ring your local dealer and explain the problem. You should have no issue having them repair it under the factory recall. They weld plates around the chassis and then re-assmble. An expensive job for them, free for you. they should have engineered it properly in the first place.

Evert 28-10-2011 05:33 PM

Is this recall actually for both the diesel and the petrol versions or only for the petrol cars?

I don't know if the steering boxes are different on them...?

mato 03-02-2012 06:46 AM

Ok dose any one have pics of a modded chasis rail
my 97 (96 build) has some recal stickers on the door
but now i have a noise in the front end but only when its raining ???
i have searched hight and low and cant fined anything yet
looked at the steering box and it looks like nothing spical. normal
but i have a bad feeling that it is going to have to be a box mount for rail issue.
is jeep still helping with this issue or have they wiped there hands of this issue
i will try and rin jeep later on and see how i go.
but if any one has pics of a modded box would be a big help